Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,238   Online: 1104

Thread: Oop North

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In July I am planning to take a week's holiday in Yorkshire (UK) Could anyone give me a few good tips as to where to set up my tripod? Don't worry, I usually make my own holes.

Thanks in advance

Hans

Shooter
    127 Format
    mmm let me think... I lived in York years ago, and there are loads of great things to photograph round there - what sort of stuff you looking for?

York itself is ancient - dates back to viking times. The defensive walls are pretty impressive. There's also a ruined priory in the "museum gardens". If you want your "churchy bits" more intact then you can't really miss the Minster. Personally I lived in York long enough that the churchy bits, and other (actually pretty great looking) touristy bits kind of becaime invisible (and by July they'll likely be ruined by being full of pesky tourists). If you're into trains though - you've GOT to do the railway museum - its fantastic.

For more natural stuff - out in the country side, you can't really help falling over the stuff. I do remember going to "Brenham Rocks" - loads of rocks, cliffs and stuff you can clamber over - pretty fun, and I'm sure lots of good pics. It's a bit north of York (I think). Harrogate (also north of York) is a classic market town, but has a GREAT viaduct (again - handy if you're into that industrial revolution meets countryside think).

Leeds/Bradford are much more Urban if you're looking for grittier stuff.

Ian

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    York is a nice place, yes. So's most of Yorkshire.

Plenty of old buildings: Castles and churckes in all sizes and shapes.

There's even some nature to be found on the moors, with nice views over the valleys. Ilkley Moor is particularly fine - or was, 25 years ago when I was there last.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    127 & Ole
    Thanks for your suggestions; I'll certainly check out the Ilkley moors and the railway museum.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you're anywhere near Settle, I'd strongly recommend the waterfall Scaleber Force. It consists of a main fall followed by a series of cascades, a bit of a scramble to reach but worth it. Ideal weather is bright but overcast, so that the brightness gradient isn't too great.

Also in that area is the Ingleton Waterfalls Walk and the nature trail at Clapham.

All the best, Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the sea is your thing you may want to visit Whitby or Scarborough.

Hebden Bridge is another place that I am told is worth visiting (if you like your mills dark and satanic)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frank: taking some pics at a waterfall seems like a good idea. Not too many of those over here.

Adrian: I'll be staying at a little place called Staithes on the coast; the places you mention will be put on the list. As to the dark & satanic mills: if there's muck, there's brass!

Thanks
    Hans

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [quote="clogz" I'll be staying at a little place called Staithes on the coast;

You will then, visit the abbey ruins at nearby Whitby. Watch out for Dracula !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't worry, I'm a member of the Van Helsing family and know what's at stake. So does Dracula! Besides I am going to bring some garlic flavoured baloney sandwiches.

Hans

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whitby used to be the centre of the "Jet" industry in the UK (the black gem stone not the big engine). You might find something nice to take back to the loved ones in Holland.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin