Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,987   Online: 796

Shooter
    35mm

Films and Labs in Singapore

Hello, I'm new to analog photography (in the old days I've only been using digital cameras) and while I've my local suppliers and processing labs at home, I'm taking my camera (Contax 139 with Zeiss Planar T* 50mm/1.4, 85mm/1.4 and Distagon T* 28mm/2.8) for the first time on vacation ... and we're going to Singapore.

Since I don't want to travel with many unexposed films I'm looking for places to get them in Singapore (and I'm guessing it is a pretty digital place).

And more important I'm looking for a good way to get my 35mm films developed (C41, E6 and some B/W stuff) ... with digital scans on a cd-r. I'm far from being a professional and I only want a good compromise between quality, price and speed. Especially the digital scans are important to me.

Does anyone has a idea/advise where I should be heading for films and development in Singapore?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well you can bring it over to Fotohub along Beach Road. They take around 3 hours to develop so you can collect them after some shopping at Bugis Junction shopping center which is kinda nearby. They close at 7pm so be sure to bring it to them early. Their address is:

FotoHub(BR), website here
    103 Beach Road,
    #01-01 Premier Center
    Singapore 189704
    Tel : 63346146 Fax : 63346147
    Email :
    enquiry.br@fotohub.com
    Mon - Fri: 9.00am - 7.00pm
    Sat: 9.00am - 4.00pm
    Sun & Holidays: closed

However if you're not in a rush, Ruby Photo over at Excelsior hotel can do next day collection if I remember correctly but their scanning services are rather expensive I think.. Also it's the in the 'City' so you can except a lot of shopping to be around the area! They sell most Ilford film if you're into B&W. Plus it's located in the camera 'zone'. There are a few camera shops there such as Cathay Photo and The Camera Workshop located just across the road. Most stuff over there are analog. Their address is:
    Ruby Photo Co

3 Coleman Street
    #01-01 Peninsula Excelsior Shopping Center S179804
    * Tel: 6338 0236
    * Fax: 6334 3700
    * Operating Hours: Closed on Saturdays & Sundays
    Mon - Fri: 10:00 am - 08:00 pm

Let me know if you need more help =)

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you very much, it was very helpful. The FotoHub store you pointed out is much faster like other FotoHubs with film. Everything done in three hours is a lot better than the 3 working days it took (and still takes) in other fotohub shops.

Had you experience in comparing the quality of the digital scans of Ruby Photo and FotoHub? Is twice the price justified in terms of quality?

What I am currently missing are high sensitivity color films like Kodak Portra 800 or especially Fuji Superia 800 and 1600. I havn't found it anywhere yet. Anyone an idea where to get them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey no problem!

And I can't compare cause I've never scanned my pictures over at Ruby Photo nor at Fotohub. The prices they charge are too expensive. I do it at home with my Canoscan 4400F, although quality isn't that good. You could scan the negs when you're back home?

And for those high sensitivity film, I've never seen Portra 800 in Singapore. As for the Fuji Superia, I've seen some 800s over at Triple D, Burlington Square beside Sim Lim Square. As for the 1600 ISO, I haven't seen it either.

Anyways, Sim Lim Sqaure is a GREAT place to buy electronic goods. Loads of computer parts, flash cards, mp3 players, etc over there.

Again let me know if you need any more help! Also, when are you coming over to Singapore?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fattyale View Post
    Hey no problem!

And I can't compare cause I've never scanned my pictures over at Ruby Photo nor at Fotohub. The prices they charge are too expensive. I do it at home with my Canoscan 4400F, although quality isn't that good. You could scan the negs when you're back home?

And for those high sensitivity film, I've never seen Portra 800 in Singapore. As for the Fuji Superia, I've seen some 800s over at Triple D, Burlington Square beside Sim Lim Square. As for the 1600 ISO, I haven't seen it either.

Anyways, Sim Lim Sqaure is a GREAT place to buy electronic goods. Loads of computer parts, flash cards, mp3 players, etc over there.

Again let me know if you need any more help! Also, when are you coming over to Singapore?
    Thanks again for your help. I got the Superias 800 at Triple D. And I really loved the scanning at FotoHub, it was way cheaper than in Germany and offered great quality (with 16-base scanning ~3000x2000 pixel). I also took some films back home

I was at Singapore pretty much the entire December and returned just after New Year. But I'm already planning my next trip (since my sister works there) and will visit again probably around eastern.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin