Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,386   Online: 982

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

TRIP TO ICELAND,

Hi,
    I am planning a trip to Iceland In August 2010. I will go solo . My idea is to trek AND to make photos. My equipment is quite heavy as i mainly use a Pentax 67 with 3 or 4 lenses + tripod.
    I will also have to carry a small tent + sleeping bag etc...
    Iceland is not a very big country but when you walk , short distances can become very long. I fact i think 2 short treks of 4 days would be ideal as i will stay 2 weeks. So I am looking for any advice as to which places are most photogenic or any information about bags, food, equipment which could help me make of this trip a fantastic one.
    Thanks for all your answers.
    Angelo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Would it be unseemly of me to suggest a ca. 19 year old Icelandic gal to carry your film for you?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bjork would be a treat, if a little temperamental; she doesn't like cameras...

PS: Trim down that load, way down. You'd be looking at something like 25 to 40kg with basics: that is too much. One camera body+one lens and a light tripod.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given the size of your load, and the changeable weather of most parts of at least coastal Iceland, I would think seriously of renting a car, or if you plan to do that, reduce the length of your treks or the amount of equipment. One reason I recommend the car if at all possible is that there is so many photogenic parts of Iceland, and some of the best scenery is a significant distance from Reykjavík. Snaefellsness is beautiful, so is a waterfall called Skogafoss, there are great vistas on the south coast, there are epic mountains in many places...see if you can borrow/buy some books on Iceland with extensive photos and look over the possibilities.

Don't expect a lot of signage in English, it is worth doing some extensive homework on Reykjavík public transport, housing and locations of food markets: you have the right idea to minimize expenses with the tent and cooking for yourself. Even with the economic problems there, it is an expensive place.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with macrorie that the truly spectacular locations in Iceland are a long walk from one another, despite the relatively small size of the island. One alternative to renting a car that you might investigate is the bus system. I have never traveled by bus there, but I understand that there is regular bus service to many points, especially in summer. I suspect that bus stops would get you pretty close to many of the places you might want to camp and photograph. Certainly a lot closer than walking from Reykjavik!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am also going in August, we are stopping at families house, so if I see some guy struggling with camera gear I will give you a wave .

I will ask my partner for good places to go for you

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are so many hiking opportunities in Iceland. When I was there, the Porsmork & Landmannalaugar areas where highly recommended but one needed a 4x4 (Jeep, not camera to get there so I didn't make it unfortunately.

I did hike around lake Mývatn and surrounding areas which was great and also in Jökulsárgljúfur National Park to see the Dettifoss waterfall. I'm not sure what hiking is available around Gullfoss waterfall but it is worth photographing as its very impressive.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are many interresting things to photograph. As I were there I took the fairy boat from Hanstholm ( Dänemark) to Iceland. If you fly in its a good choise to rent a car. The bussystem is not bad, but with heavy gear its very uncomfortably. Rent a car in which you can slepp also ( I have seen flying tents in Landmanalaugar). A 4x4 car is a must have for the highland. Walking opportunities are everywhere.

Markus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Markus,

What is the ferry like? Are there any unpleasant import duties that need to be paid if ferrying one's own car to Iceland?

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi,
    Fairy boat = Ferry Boat
    As I were there in 2006 I paid only for the transportation of my car and me. I sleeped on my sleeping matress outside. Very comfortable ship. After the arrival they checked my staff. Its not allowed to import more than ??? litre alkohol, cigarettes, food. If you bring more with you, you have to pay import duties. Maybe you get a problem if you bring your own car, sell it there and fly back to UK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin