Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,603   Online: 833

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

1 day in Venice, what camera(s) to bring along

I have a customer in Venice whom I will see for the first time on monday afternoon. I have never been to Venice before (I grew up in Rome, but never made it to Venice), so I decided to travel tomorrow, saturday, and take a first glimpse at the place on sunday and (at least a few hours) on monday morning.

At first I wanted to bring my RB67 and tripod, but thinking it over I thought I should travel light the first time I see this place, come to know it a little bit and maybe come back later with heavy equipment. So I decided to take just my Leica M2 and some XP2. But then... what if... and so I also packed my old Rolleiflex, just in case, one never knows.... plus some film, and so on.

Now, my M2 with the 50 Summicron and the Rolleiflex have more or less the same effective focal length (or better, field of view), so except for the format and IQ there is no real difference. So I unpacked the Rolleiflex, happy to be able to travel lighter, and... but what if I met the great moment, the perfect light, the perfect subject, and me with just that little negative, no mf? That's when I got stuck.

So, this probably is one rather stupid question, but how would you spend your first day in Venice? One camera, one lens, travel light and just use the eyes before coming back with lots of lenses and bodies? Or leave the M2 at home, make it one Rolleiflex-day and never look back? Or take both and decide on the spot?

I shoot faster with the M2, more discrete with the Rolleiflex (looking down), handling film is much easier with 35mm, but IQ much better with mf.

How would you decide? Not much time left, I know, but a little input will probably help me think it over and decide.

Thanks a lot in advance, enjoy,

Holger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on how you like to shoot. If you like to travel light and shoot street scenes and people, leave the TLR behind. If you intend to shoot some of the architecture, then by all means bring both cameras.
    For that matter, a Rollei TLR can be a great machine for street shooting, too... So maybe leave the Leica behind instead.

I'm not helping much, am I?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Go for the Rollei. If you get that once in a life time shot it will be on MF film rather than 35mm. I have both Leica M's and a Rollei and I find the Rollei gets a higher percentage of really good street shots. But naturally YMMV.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I visited Venice for one day while on a ski holiday in Austria. I took my little Minolta CLE rangefinder with a 40 mm lens. Never regretted it. Lightweight, quiet, discreet, and I was free to take it anywhere I wanted. At the end of the day my back was not tired from carrying a brick on a tripod.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you take the M2 [I would], and make an appealing composition; an interesting photo, the smaller format is of no concern. My Rolleicord would tempt me, too. Either one, Not both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I were going to be traveling to a unfamiliar location, I would think of it more as a scouting trip. Usually, "once in a lifetime" shots require more preparation and less chance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Medium format 645 with 60mm or 50mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been there a few times and would suggest taking the 35mm camera as it is the smaller of the two and will give you the most opportunities with the least amount of bulk. It is such an astounding place that you should see as much as possible on your first visit and then plan the next visit.

You didn't mention the weather; if it's flooding, you'll want to carry as little as possible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you so much! I had expected one or maybe two answeres (with only a few hours left before departure), but never that much. Well, travelling light on the first time seems to be the right thing to do. Weather will not be perfect either (at least it should not be flooding, but there might be snow on monday), and checking my fridge I found I had lots of 35mm XP2, but only two rolls in 120 format. The rest of my roll films is PAN F, and in this season, with no tripod (thought about it, but won't bring it along) ISO 50 seems a little bit too slow to me.

Edward, if I had a 645, maybe something like the Fuji RF, it would be the thing to do, but since I don't own one...

Thanks a lot to all of you, you have been of great help.
    Holger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikonos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin