Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,842   Online: 793

Thread: Eastern Sierra

Shooter
    Medium Format

Eastern Sierra

taking a second trip to Death Valley, and wonder if including a stop at Needles, CA and old route 66 through Essex and Amboy to Barstow is worth a look. I like to shoot commercial and natural landscapes, including ghost towns

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Go for it. My personal favorite spots in the area are Bodie (old ghost town) and Lone Pine. Both are a ways north of Death Valley though. If you can do it, go to Bodie.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    Go for it. My personal favorite spots in the area are Bodie (old ghost town) and Lone Pine. Both are a ways north of Death Valley though. If you can do it, go to Bodie.

I agree about Bodie. Incredible place. US 395 through the Eastern Sierras is just a great drive though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bodie is well north of Route 66, though. There's some neat stuff off the interstate around Amboy----old train cars and run-down not-quite-ghost-town areas---but the area immediately around Barstow is, um, not the most photogenic landscape on earth.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Oatman can be good fun if you don't mind being mugged by the wild mules and can avoid the tour busses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bodie, Devils Postpile in the afternoon when the sun is on it, and the Bristlecone pines in the Inyo National Forest [only 5,000 years old]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    You don't mention when you are taking this trip. If it is during winter, then Bodie and the Bristlecones are probably out. Both of these locations are not easily accessed in winter.

Rt66 through the desert from Needles west is pretty neat. Amboy is worth the trip, I think, but further west is not. You might consider going north from Amboy up into the Mojave National Preserve and check out the Kelso Depot. It is beautifully restored and there is a nice museum. I don't know if they have the restored soda fountain up and running yet but it is really beautiful. From the Kelso Depot you can head north to Baker and from there it's a couple of hours up to Tecopa and Shoshone where there are hot springs that you can soak in. Both towns are just outside of Death Valley.

Cheers
    Lizz
    "At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the input. Going 2 Feb so Bodie doesn't seem doable. Lizz thanks for the Mojave thought.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have been to the Kelso Depot twice now and continue to be impressed. If you are going to Death Valley and like "ghost towns" check out Goldpoint which is north of Beatty,NV. I'd recommend staying in Beatty which is also right near Rhyolite, another ghost town. There are some nice photo ops there. Just outside of Rhyolite there is a graveyard, but watch out for snakes. From Beatty you can drive through Titus Canyon and there is a ghost town about halfway called Leadfield. It's a spectacular drive over some breathtaking passes and then through a classic canyon. Great photos along the way including some pictographs.

Have fun no mater what
    Lizz
    "At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Once in DV, you may want to check out Skidoo. It's a few miles off the Wildrose road, south of Stovepipe. The elevation isn't too extreme, so the road should hopefully be open and in decent shape. There's not much left of the town, but there are several neat rock mills still standing.

The Eastern California Museum in Independence has a large collection of wildly photogenic old farm equipment, cars, mining equipment, etc. From there, continue west on Onion Valley Road as far as conditions will allow. It's a very pretty drive.

Don't forget Ballarat in southern Panamint Valley. Not far away is the city of Trona, which I find strangely appealing. It's got the industrial mining town look (because that's exactly what it is!)
    Flee, puny digicams, flee for your life!
    The mighty Bronicasaurus can smell your fear! ROAAARRR!!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin