Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,252   Online: 1005

Thread: Guatemala

Shooter
    Medium Format

Guatemala

Going to knock one more country off the bucket list in March. Have lived and traveled in Latin America, but never to Antigua, Atitlán, Chicicastenango, etc. My impression is that the capital city merits less time than the aformentioned places. Any help from apugers is appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi!
    was there in 1999. You're right, the capital is not a really friendly town... The region of the lake or Chichicastenango are really worth seeing, very colourful. I exclusively shot colour film when I was there.. but beware the locals do not appreciate being photographed. The country was not very safe then so I only took a small rangefinder, a Konica Hexar. Don't know about the situation now..
    Hope you enjoy your vacation.
    Angelo

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I visited Guatemala in 2001 and stayed with a family for ten days as part of a photography assignment. It is probably my favorite place on earth and Antigua is not to be missed. Angelo is right, the indigenous population does not like to be photographed and candid photography can be more difficult. However, I found approaching people directly and asking them permission worked out well most of the time. I was also using a Leica M camera which has a lower profile which seemed to help. I do not speak any Spanish and I still had a great experience there and I found the people to be very friendly and helpful. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was there in 2007 & 2008. I agree with everything said above. I will add Don't ride the "Chicken buses"! Very colorful, but certainly not safe.........even the locals are robbed from time to time.

Have a good trip,

bill
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin