Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,867   Online: 944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hong Kong

I am in Hong Kong for a few days. Are there any must-see things you can suggest?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The bar at the Mandarin hotel.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Go to the "Photo Street"...small area with lots of great camera stores (not the grey market types)

not only a great place for supplies but a place to meet other shooters and get the good info on where and how.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you head up Victoria Peak, you can get a good view and perspective on just how fast greenery covers exposed earth there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I spend a lot of time in HK, what do you like to do, see, photograph?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan Ren View Post
    I spend a lot of time in HK, what do you like to do, see, photograph?
    Good question, and I don't have a really good answer. I guess I am most interested in scenic things, or other things or people that are unique to the area.

Today I spent half an afternoon at the Hong Kong Heritage Museum. It was interesting and not too expensive.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    OK, get an Octopus card (used on all public transport which is clean, safe and very very efficient) and hop on the trains, Star Ferries and Buses. Try some of the street markets, there is a good one in Wan Chai that goes over several blocks and it is near the MTR Station, exit A3 I think, also Shau Kei Wan has a good market and is an interesting area to walk around and photograph. Wong Tai Sin is a very colourful, active and often noisy, Taoist Temple complex complete with fortune tellers, and not far from it is Diamond Hill and its very nice, quiet zen like Chai Lin Buddhist Nunnery and "Scholars Garden". Go back out to Sha Tin and walk up the hill to the 10,000 Buddha Temple, great place and rather photogenic. The back streets of Tsim Sha Tsiu, Mong Kok, Yau Ma Tei. Go to the Bus station under the IFC towers on Hong Kong Island and catch the 6 or 66 (not the 6X) to Stanley, takes you up over the hill to the "South side" and a different, wealthier world. Take a tram on Hong Kong Island. Very cheap, hop on and hop off when you want. Eat, lots. try small restaurants, they may seem a little off hand to you but they are generally helpful and will make suggestions.

How long are you there for, I know a local, foreigner/expat photographer/artist who does guided photo tours I might be able to put you in touch with if you are interested. I think he is in town this week.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Visit the bird and flower market in Kowloon. Lots of color, lots of interesting street photography.

On the second home page of my website, I have two portfolios of the market.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan Ren View Post
    How long are you there for, I know a local, foreigner/expat photographer/artist who does guided photo tours I might be able to put you in touch with if you are interested. I think he is in town this week.
    I an free in the morning of January 12. I have a commitment on the afternoon of January 12. January 13 is free, though I might be meeting with another conference attendee in the afternoon for some sightseeing. I am tied up on January 14 and 15 attending a conference. January 16 is uncertain. It depends on whether I take it as a free day or attend some workshops/educational features of the conference I am attending. January 17 is totally free. I depart from Hong Kong on the morning of January 18.

As far as photographic equipment is concerned, I am traveling light this time. I have one film camera with me (an old Ricoh scale focusing 35mm camera with a pretty good lens) and one digitial camera (a Panasonic Lumix LX2).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Forgot about the Bird Park -- small place, actually, but very interesting. Where all the old men go with their pet birds to meet, mingle and socialize, get supplies, chat, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin