Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,198   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

South Florida - and going North....

Hey Puggers....

I am flying to Miami on Wednesday to pick up a car and drive it back to Central Missouri.

My first inclination for the return trip was to drive through the glades on the trail, then head north through tampa, etc. and keep hugging the coast till Mobile Alabama....Then start heading north west through Mississippi, etc....

My other thought is driving straight north up the east coast of Florida, then through Athens GA, and up through the smoky mts. to Knoxville.

Anyone have experience with either routes and what will provide more interesting "stuff" to photograph? I tend to go for the quirky...I enjoy doing old roadside attractions, junk, but I also appreciate the scenic vistas....

I will be driving the back roads, mostly state highways, etc.....No interstates thus I'm not interested in the fastest route, most direct, etc.

If it matters, I'll be shooting MF....BW.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Try rt 441, see Wikipedia on rt 441 I've driven along much of its length ( from Lake City FL to Knoxville Tn), and it has alot of character.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The other choice is US 27 which starts in downtown Miami (Hialeah) and heads north through Knoxville and continues up to Lexington, KY where you can change to US 60 West or go up to Cincinnati and head west from there. Or head up US 1 along the coast until you get to US 60 in Virginia (either Hampton or Richmond) and head west.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I need a road trip with the 4x5. Hope you have a ball no matter which way you decide to roll.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you traveled 25/27? Anything interesting to see?

As to the 441, that is pretty much what I'm thinking at this point...

Traveling up to around Daytona on A1A, then heading west, hitting 441 up to Athens and then the smokes....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The Dixie Highway is also an interesting road. It was the first major road from the midwest (Indianapolis) to Miami (and privately built). US 27 was the major route before I-75, so I would expect old tourist trap stuff. I know there are these types on US 1 and US 60 as I have traveled these.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you decide to take Tamiami Trail (US41) you have to make a stop at Clyde Butcher's Big Cypress Gallery. I took it from the Miami area to Sarasota a few years ago. There are a lot of interesting things to see but I don't recall if there were many good places to stop. Once you get to the West coast you grind your way through the downtown of every coastal town but I still found it an enjoyable drive. It was also extra congested because a bridge was out on I-75 at the time and people had to find other detours.
    Turning negative into positive since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by tequilabong View Post
    Hey Puggers....

I am flying to Miami on Wednesday to pick up a car and drive it back to Central Missouri.

My first inclination for the return trip was to drive through the glades on the trail, then head north through tampa, etc. and keep hugging the coast till Mobile Alabama....Then start heading north west through Mississippi, etc....

My other thought is driving straight north up the east coast of Florida, then through Athens GA, and up through the smoky mts. to Knoxville.

Anyone have experience with either routes and what will provide more interesting "stuff" to photograph? I tend to go for the quirky...I enjoy doing old roadside attractions, junk, but I also appreciate the scenic vistas....

I will be driving the back roads, mostly state highways, etc.....No interstates thus I'm not interested in the fastest route, most direct, etc.

If it matters, I'll be shooting MF....BW.

Watch the troopers...and watch the speed traps in the small towns along the way. Have a ball.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Rt 15 up to Georgia would be interesting as it goes thru alot of farm country and quaint towns like Palatka. A1A and Rt 1 along the coast would be very slow and lined with non-descript malls.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Would not recommend i95 on the east coast for scenery. Pretty dull.

I drove Aligator Ally once and although quiete empty - was interesting in it's vastness.

The Glades are nice for sure. The bay is also nice. Although the Atlantic has a vast blueness that can't be beat. So it's a toss up. Maybe zizag your way through lol. Although Florida is quiete huge so not really practical.
    I brake for fixer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin