Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,488   Online: 940

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lenses allowed at the Staples Center in Los Angeles

In a quest for the longest/fastest/shortest lens allowed into the Staples Center, I would like to brainstorm a list of long lenses that are allowed. The rules state that 35mm or digital cameras may be brought in, and that any lens under 3-1/2 inches in length may be brought in.

Normally I shoot with normal and wide lenses, which pose no problem, but today I had my first luck bringing in a longer lens. So, I will start the list with the pre-AI Nikkor-Q 135mm f/3.5. I took the hood off, and it was not even given any more of a glance than my normal and wide lenses get. I measured it before leaving the house. It is about 3-1/4 inches long when focused on infinity (not counting the bayonet mount). With a cap on, it is right at the limit.

I am thinking that I could bring in a TC in my bag and add it once I am seated.

Is there a 200mm lens under 3-1/2 inches? Are there any 135mm lenses faster than f/3.5 that are under 3-1/2 inches?

Unfortunately, the Canon 135mm f/2.0 is just a few millimeters too long to get in, if it should arouse enough inquiry that it is ever measured. Additionally, it has a built-in retractable hood, which I know they will pull out before measuring. Really too bad, as that would give me a 270mm f/4.0 lens with a doubler.

I hate to say it, but this might be a good application for an APS-C digital camera. With my 135, this would give me the angle of view of a 216mm lens. f/3.5 isn't bad for that angle of view.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-06-2010 at 09:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2F,

My Series E 135 f2.8 is 3.25 in. focused on infinity with the built in hood collapsed.

I don't know about the Nikkor of the same focal length and speed.

Sat Kartar
    Last edited by drkhalsa; 02-06-2010 at 09:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Re-read the op and checked my length at infinity

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikkor 135mm 2.0 is also just a tiny bit too long, in either AF or manual. The later model 135mm f/2.8 Nikkors are only 83mm long according to this list. The 200mm Nikkors are all way too long.

Sigma once made a very compact (3.2" according to their specs) 70-210mm lens (B&H used dept), it was designated UC (not UC-II which is noticeably bigger) and had a 52mm filter thread. It really is very small, unfortunately it's a slow f/4-5.6. I've used it and it wasn't too bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus Zuiko 135mm f2.8 is 3.1 inches long.

Olympus Zuiko 180mm f2.8 is 4.9 inches long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep 'em coming.

I can mount Nikon F, Canon FD, Canon EF, or Pentax thread mount lenses, personally, though I would like to hear all options, such as the Olympus lenses just mentioned.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wish I had known about these rules earlier. I spent Halloween night sitting outside the Staples Center with my RZ67 because they wouldn't let me in. I was asked by a dance troupe to photograph their performance during halftime at a Clippers game. The coordinator of the event didn't get me the proper clearance and because my camera was "too big" (even though with Delta 3200 I was planning to hand hold it since I was to be out on the court photographing the dance) I had to catch a very crowded subway back home. I guess nobody believes you when you tell them you aren't a professional but are holding anything other then a small point and shoot or similar camera. I also was refused entry into the Rose Bowl for a football game for the same reason. Stupid rules that make no sense to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gotta at least call to check the rules when shooting in a professional venue. Next time, ask to come in on the bus with the troupe.

As a paid spectator, they always have let me shoot through the lens holes in the glass at the pre-game skate, but I have never tried to bring in anything other than a small format camera.

When I shot for a paper, I could get in to the more "crummy" games sometimes, as the big press was not as interested in covering them. There was no need for long lenses, as you are positioned right on the boards. I used a 28-70 zoom on a Canon 1D (Mk. I).
    2F/2F

Shooter
    35mm
    Here are two more... 3.5" is 88.9mm (call it 89mm), so either of these might work if you have a K-mount body.

Pentax-M 150mm f/3.5 is 75mm long, a little more reach than the 135mm without a speed loss
    Pentax-K 135mm f/2.5 is 86mm, by itself a pretty fast tele; add a 2x to get a 270mm f/5.0

Both of these are available in M42 mount as far as I know but I don't know dimensions for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do have a K-1000, and it is dead mint cosmetically, but O.O.C. It was a freebie, and I haven't had a reason to spend money on fixing it yet.

I do, however, have a few Spotmatics, which as far as I can tell will never stop working properly.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    35mm

possibly..

this lens

what is the intent of the rule?
    Kodak Duaflex II with kodet lens
    N75 N8008s D60
    Yashica - D
    Only a photographer knows the true value of infinity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin