Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,455   Posts: 1,570,545   Online: 859

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Manchester in March

Hi!

I'm going to spend a week in Manchester in the beginning of March. I'd be very interested in any photo-stores that sell film and related materials. If they sell used film cameras too, that would be a great bonus. Is there any place I could look into? I'm a 35mm shooter, if that helps.

Oh... could anyone tell me what kind of weather to expect in there? Is spring the driest season in England?

Thank you!

Andres (really looking forward to visiting Manchester)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to spend a week in Manchester in the beginning of March.
    Poor thing.
    Is spring the driest season in England?
    I don't think there is such a thing. The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in Manchester.

Oh, boy I'll get some flack for them.
    But seriously, here is a link to a site that lists camera shops in the UK.

http://www.ukcamera.com/towns/northwes.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    Poor thing.

I don't think there is such a thing. The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in Manchester.

Oh, boy I'll get some flack for them.
    But seriously, here is a link to a site that lists camera shops in the UK.

http://www.ukcamera.com/towns/northwes.htm
    I was kind of expecting the "poor thing" or something similar . But thanks for the link!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing wrong with Manchester

Ok stores
    Jessops but they are going through a rough time so not sure if they would stock any film stuff. They moved from there big store to somewhere on Market Street I think.

Wildings on Deansgate, would not bother they have nothing interesting, now a small store and I think all digi

Jacobs on Corporation street small chain store and do have Leica stuff in the window and very limited amount of used film cameras, think they still sell film.

Lecia Man Barton Arcade. Leica plus other used digi and film stuff, small shop friendly people, but don't sell film.

LCE Piccadilly bus station, have a used section think they will stock some film.

Real Camera Comapny (I know where it is just not sure of the street ) its like a museum full of used stuff.

Have fun but it will proable be wet.
    Stack of 35mm stuff, some 120 stuff and lots of other junk to make it work

Keep it simple. ~ Alfred Eisenstaedt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks, Java! It's a nice list of stores. Google maps and route planning now. And I'm sure Manchester will be great. Any place that has temperatures above zero in the beginning of March is great for me .

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    Nothing wrong with Manchester

Ok stores
    Jessops but they are going through a rough time so not sure if they would stock any film stuff. They moved from there big store to somewhere on Market Street I think.
    Jessops have a small store in Princess St, next to the Town Hall. I don't know if they stock film or not, but the shop is only a fraction of the size of the former Deansgate store. That was a great shop, but I believe the cost of the rent shot up and forced Jessops to move elsewhere.

There used to be one in Cheetham Hill (Manchester Fort), but that closed down a couple of years ago. That was only a digital store anyway. Also the one in St. Peter's Square (formerly a Tecno store) shut down shortly after Jessops took over it.

The Real Camera Shop is worth a visit - plenty of film cameras here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They say never say anything bad about... So, the only good thing I can say about Manchester is that it is on the edge of the Peak District and not far from the Yorkshire moors - Both good spots for landscape photography (even in the rain)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peak District and not far from the Yorkshire moors
    Wonderful country spent much of my weekends when much younger on Kinder Scout, the Pennine Way and the Yorkshire Dales.
    If I am not mistaken it was due to folks from Manchester fighting for access to the land that opened up areas of the Peak District to public access.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin