Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,413   Online: 681

Thread: Going to Philly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Going to Philly

I'm going to the Project Basho workshop on March 20th and 21st for silver gelatin printing. Anyone know of any good places to shoot in Philly? I don't know if I'm going to take the train or drive from Virginia yet. Any advice on what equipment to take, places to stay, places to avoid, or any other tips would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (Had a whole list typed and blew it away hitting the wrong button!) Some ideas might depend on what you're into. Project Basho is relatively near the older city center historic areas. There are three centuries worth of architecture about, a waterfront area with historic old piers and ships, the old Navy yard, oil refineries, railroad infrastructure, parks -- Fairmount Park is one of the largest city parks anywhere -- Schuylkill river scenes, statuary, the art museum, probably early for some of the gardens, but there are some. Laurel Hill Cemetery is along side the park area, an amazing place.

There are some samples here in galleries of mine (apologies in advance that many use electrocuted bits).

I'm sure some others will chime in. There are some hotels near the historic area, but living nearby, I've not stayed in any of them; perhaps others will have some comments.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    What do you like to shoot, and what format? There's everything from street photo to City Hall and Boathouse
    Row to the gritty under I 95. And a car or no car will make a difference. So, let us know more. Basho is on the fringes of center city, so you probably won't be staying right there. I'm also sure they have a list of suggestions.

Anne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all!!!
    I'll probably be shooting 4X5 but I'm also considering taking my Bronica SQA for portability and the fact that I haven't shot it lately and I could shoot more film that way. My 4X5 is a lightweight field camera but I'll have to carrie more sheet film that way. I did find a B&B pretty reasonable near the historic district. If I take the train I won't have any transportation other than public. Since the workshop goes till around 5 or 6 in the evening, I will do most of my shooting Friday afternoon and on the following Monday. One other thing. Food. Any thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One other thing. I shoot mostly black and white and old areas of the city would be great. A good place to eat and a little bit of a tour guide and dinner is on me...

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Lots to eat and drink around there. Send me an email and I'll let you know what's around. I shoot around town with a SQa and a 4x5, especially went the Holga isn't working.

Anne

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't forget Eastern State Penitentiary! It's without doubt over-photographed but there's so much to it it's not tapped out yet. You'll definitely need a tripod (the interiors are quite dim) but they're quite happy to let you bring one in, for a very reasonable ($12 or so for the entire year) fee. Depending on your taste in food, there is a FANTASTIC Italian place literally next door to Eastern State - L'Oca (the duck). While the atmosphere is upscale casual, it's not a bargain, so plan for it to be a special event meal. Jack's Firehouse is right across the street from Eastern State and is more relaxed and a bit cheaper, but the food is not on the same level.

Hotel-wise, I've stayed in two different places that were reasonably priced and reasonably convenient to Project Basho. The Windsor Suites is an ex-apartment building converted to a hotel, so the rooms are extremely spacious for hotel rooms. They have on-site valet parking.

For something a bit cheaper, but still quite functional, the Comfort Inn Downtown was also a good pick. They have on-site self-parking, and are quite near Penns Landing and the Colonial quarter. If you don't feel like taking your car out after you get back from Project Basho, they offer a free shuttle bus throughout the downtown area.
    Last edited by TheFlyingCamera; 02-14-2010 at 07:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard,

Nice seeing you over the weekend. Hope you enjoyed the workshop with Chuck.

We will go out to photograph next time you come to Philadelphia with 8x10. Hope to see you soon.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin