Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,431   Online: 1150

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Going to NYC, Vegas & Chicago.

Hey all,

I'm planning a trip down to these places with my family on the 12th march till 26th march. Was wondering are there any good photoshops/thrift stores/estate sales to visit?

Also is there anything interesting in between NYC and Buffalo other than the Niagara falls? We're planning a road trip down. I heard Buffalo has nothing.. Well that's accord to some friends studying over at University at Buffalo.

Lastly! Anyone has a Polaroid 680 to sell that I can meet them to collect it and pay you?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There is plenty to see between New York City and Buffalo (Niagara Falls is north of Buffalo, so not between NYC & Buffalo). What are you interested in? It is a lot of territory to cover. Not like driving across Singapore.

Can't say if there are any good estate sales, because that is usually a very local event, but I'm sure upstate New York is full of thrift stores. Enjoy your journey.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photoshops: Calumet in Chicago area (but may not be in city), Central Camera in Chicago (south of loop) if they are still there, B&H in NYC (note that they are closed on major Jewish holidays and the Jewish sabbath - Friday night through Saturday)

Interesting places: Hoover dam near Las Vegas (I'm not a big fan of the LV strip, but I suppose you need to see it once), bridges across the Chicago river in downtown Chicago ("holy Batman")

Thrift shops: I suppose you can scour the pawn shops in LV, but pawn shops generally seem to have high prices. There are "flea markets" (like a "boot sale" if you know what that is) in NYC on weekends in certain locations.

This is by no means a complete list.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    New York has the Rangers and the Islanders...Buffalo has the Sabres...Chicago has the Blackhawks...Vegas has not $hit.

...but do check out Red Rock Canyon, and perhaps Zion, if you can make it that far from Vegas (maybe 150 miles or thereabout)!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In between Buffalo and NYC is Rochester, home of you-know-who and the George Eastman House.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a lot of ground to cover in 10 days. Hope you have time to eat.

In New York: there used to be a pretty good camera vendor at a flea market in Chelsea (a neighborhood on the west side). Price-wise he wasn't always great but he had a TON of stuff. I bought my Trip 35 from him for $20, which I thought was a good price, but he also had a Mamiya C330 for $250 which I didn't think was such a deal (although I don't really know). I also got in an argument with him once about the price of a Yashica Mat 124G that wasn't cocking...he kept claiming it WAS cocking. Weird! Anyway, I've heard that a few months ago, the market moved to a different neighborhood (Hell's Kitchen, also the west side but quite far from the older market) and that there are more camera vendors now, but just last week I looked for it and didn't find it. Maybe just closed for winter, but I'll check again this weekend.

Adorama is also a great shop for photography gear, but B&H is more interesting for a tourist. It's HUGE and has a unique conveyor system for moving the purchased merchandise around.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

sites

check out Bish Bash falls...it is about 100 miles north of NYC on route 22
    beautiful place to swim and picnic
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    check out Bish Bash falls...it is about 100 miles north of NYC on route 22
    beautiful place to swim and picnic
    Best, Peter
    Swim in MARCH????? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    John Bowen

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    In Chicago, Central Camera is still there and interesting. Calumet is about 100% digital now and a huge disappointment. There is also Helix on Racine Ave, might be worth seeing...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pinholemaster, well we're doing things that 'family travel' groups do. Like visit landmarks or eat interesting food. I might suggest going down to Boston cause I heard seafood over there is mouthwatering.

And yeah that's a lot of ground to cover that's why I'm planning a few stuff here and there to get organized. AND NO SWIMMING IN THIS WEATHER!!

B&H I heard it's HUGE. So I'm sure to go check it out. And I've seen a few of you posting Central Camera in Chicago. Will check that out too.

I'll be bring my Ricoh GX100, my gf's Lomo LCA & a Polaroid Automatic 100. Sounds good?

And anyone knows where I can get a Polaroid 680 around the area? Thanks!

Also. Anywhere I should avoid?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin