Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,158   Online: 995

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Newark, Delaware??

Hello,
    My wife and i may be moving to Newark, DE and was wondering if anyone out there lives in the town or near it?? Any info for or against would be greatly welcomed.
    Arthur, NYC

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I live in Newark, Nice little town. Main street is a little overrun by chain stores now instead of the unique little places that made it special---Like the Stone Balloon, for instance. Newark is home to the University of Delaware--lots of students around, definitely a presence but not overbearing. It's just a little quieter in the summer though. One Camera shop--- Cameras, etc.---A good one at least....actually two shops, but Newark camera is not what it used to be. Skip grottos and get yer pizza at Margharitas or Peace of Pizza (Not a misprint) and stay away from the post office at peak times. What else would you like to know?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Arthur - Coming from little ol' NYC, you will find Newark overwhelming. Actually, nice college town. Maybe not for everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Biggest problem with Newark is Tom Nutter. Avoid him!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, Tom has a nice show opening on March 5, if you (or anyone else) is going to be around. Actually, it is in Wilmington, the superior Delaware city. Tell us more about it, Tom, maybe in a separate posting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Biggest problem with Newark is that there are tooo many photographers around....LOL! Yes the show is a Colourworks in Wilmington here is a llink to the info: http://www.tomnutter.blogspot.com

And to get this thread back on track....There IS a fairly vibrant art scene around Newark and Wilmington. The Newark Arts alliance, the Delaware Center for Contemporary Arts, in Wilmington, and of course the Delaware Art museum, to name a few. Lots to do in Newark, or around Newark, and I-95 is easy to get to as well if you find a need to go some place like New Jersey, although again, the Delaware beaches are cleaner, better, and less crowded.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hey, there really are other photographers around! I'm new to this forum as I've just gotten back into shooting with film. I live up the road from Newark and it is a pretty nice place as long as you are not where the college parties are happening. (Or if you are into that, maybe that makes it nicer)

I hope to check out your show Tom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not sure what i am looking for. My wife is in the running for a position at the University and we have never been before. Just wondering what people who live there or near think of the town.
    Thanks for the info, keep it comning.
    Arthur

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Here is a link to the Newark Post: http://www.newarkpostonline.com/

--although, the page I just looked at makes us look like a crime-scene.

Also the News Journal: http://www.delawareonline.com

Hope some general info helps.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One thing for all to know: It's pronounced New Ark, not like the abomination in New Jersey. .
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin