Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,487   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Two travels - No.1: Ljubljana, Slovenia

This weekend I have to travel to Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia.

Apart from the tourist attractions, what are the places that a "black-and-white photographer/street shooter/sometimes Infrared photographer" might love?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    At this time it is hard to get some special IR photos in Ljubljana. It is not likely that you will see some sun, weather forecast is mostly cloudy, besides most of the time it Ljubljana has plenty of fog during winter. And no green grass or trees.
    On the other hand there are a lot of chances to take lovely black and white photos.
    Ljubljana is very safe, in last 20 years it became beautiful city (a bigger town to be honest ), there are many places where you can take great photos. My advice would be to visit a book store and take a look at some photo monography of Ljubljana so yo'll get the basic idea. You can ask then a sales person where are those places located. Ljubljana is small enough to get everywhere by foot and people mostly know the city pretty well.
    For the start you can visit Tivoli park, castle, old town, Three bridges (and all other bridges over Ljubljanica river), market place, Cankarjev dom (cultural place, there are also two photo exhibitions at the moment, free entrance), Krizanke,...
    Enjoy
    Janez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ljubljana is a beautiful city with lovely streets to spend hours roaming around. There are nice views of the city from the castle.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found Ljubljana to be a really likable, photogenic city. Even the "tourist attractions" like the castle are well worthwhile, and it seems like it would be a good place to just wander around doing street photography. Something else not to miss, I think, is the "autonomous zone" of Metelkova near the train station---it's hard to explain exactly *what* it is, but there's a tremendous cluster of street art there, and I expect that in milder weather it would be a unique social and people-watching area, although I was there on a snowy January night and it was pretty deserted.

In the bleak midwinter, the city was very visually appealing in a low-light, spare, snow-and-stone sort of way. By this time of year I expect it'll look very different.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Metelkova is a place for alternative culture, there are exhibitions and evening events.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Uh, and DO NOT forget a pre-dinner drink on the river banks. Such a lovely atmosphere! Definitely a paraphotographic experience :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ljubljana is a wonderful place. People are very polite and civilised, food is a bit like in Italy and sceneries are like in Switzerland.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you will have time (not far from Ljubljana) - I liked this place a lot when I was there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predjama_Castle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lovely town and very photogenic. If you have time, the bus to Lake Bled takes about an hour which is a great location. Not exactly ideal for street photography, but very picturesque and some good restaurants round the lake.
    PS. Not my photo but from http://www.lake-bled.net/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lake-bled.jpg  
    Last edited by Mike Crawford; 03-05-2010 at 07:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: To credit jpg.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Slovenia is a small, but very beautiful country with diverse landscape, old towns, lakes, mountains, seaside, karst, Pannonian plain, caves, rivers, just about everything you can imagine. Within two hours from Ljubljana you can reach any point in our country.
    But if you have only a couple of days, I'd recommend you to visit Ljubljana and some very near places. maybe two old towns Škofja Loka and Kranj. You can reach both by bus in about half an hour. Actually Kranj is located only 8 kiometers from Ljubljana Airport. Ljubljana is about 30 from the airport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin