Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,117   Online: 859

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Quebec/Atlantic Canada

I have done some more planning. Suggestions most welcome. Trip will be Sept 1-17. First stop Quebec City (3 nights), Tadoussac ( 2 nights), Matane (1 night), Shippagan, NB (2 nights), Bouctouche (2 nights), Nova Scotia-not sure where yet (3 nights) St Andrews NB 3 nights), Portsmouth NH (1 night then return to Bucks County PA.

This is not a full photo trip, as I had that earlier this year to Death Valley. Nonetheless my sister in law will be along to shop with my wife so I can photograph.

Questions: Is this a decent itinerary? Are there places mentioned above that don't make sense when there are others in the vicinity more preferable?
    I know this is a bunch of judgements, but opinions are what I am after.
    Any specific charming inns in any of these locations that will get me off the hook so I can photograph more?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't had a chance to look up the places in NB but I think I'd be swapping dates and seeing more of Nova Scotia.

-ok, Saguenay is gonna be cool, if you climb, bring your gear. Maybe skip Nova Scotia this trip and save it for a longer trip ? Cape Breton is a week minimum, for me at least. Either way, I think you're going to have a great trip !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    New Brunswick is nice, and if you are into old buildings, or people, it's probably pretty cool, but it's the least interesting to me of all the provinces up there. St. Andrews is quite pretty but there's not a lot going on.

Personally I'd skip Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in general and spend 5 nights in Cape Breton. You will not be dissapointed wtih Cape Breton.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    " you will not be disappointed with Cape Breton"

Well strangely enough I was disappointed with Cape Breton, and I'd have been more disappointed if there hadn't been such good fall colour on the eastern side.

If your trip needs to combine shopping opportunities with photography, you should look at the south coast of Nova Scotia west of Halifax- small towns like Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove and so on. Its not a wilderness experience, but it is attractive does combine some interesting photography in places like Blue rocks, and lots of the "small fishing community" stuff that IMO is the best NS has to offer. The problem with Cape Breton is that the big views are infrequent, a bit samey and unless you're hikers, there's little specific to stop the car for. I enjoyed the Margaree Valley and Bras d'Or Lakes area better than Cape Breton itself.

These days , before I book up a trip, I'll search on Flickr to see whats been posted there to give some idea of photographic potential. Then it generally doesn't take long to find a photographer or two whose work attracts you and then review their "sets" of photographs relevant to your interest. Try a search on Cape Breton and others from Peggy's Cove, Blur Rocks Nova Scotia, Prospect Nova scotia, Mahone bay Nova Scotia, Lunenburg Nova scotia and you'll see the very different environments, one of which will appeal more that the other I'd suspect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was also disappointed with Cape Breton Is. Just like the north shore of Lake Superior, I think that trees have grown higher, blocking most of the view of the shorelines. I was not seeing the grand vistas advertised for these locations. One good spot on Cape Breton Is. is it's northern-most point, named Meat Cove.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trhull View Post
    I have done some more planning. Suggestions most welcome. ... St Andrews NB 3 nights), Portsmouth NH (1 night then return to Bucks County PA.

This is not a full photo trip, as I had that earlier this year to Death Valley. Nonetheless my sister in law will be along to shop with my wife so I can photograph.
    St. Andrews offers plenty of lens-candy (architechture, landscape,botanical gardens) -- and tons of shopping for the non-photogs. I spend a few weeks there every summer and always find something to shoot.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I spent two months (mid-September through mid-November) photographing in Cape Breton for a book project and never tired of what the island had to offer. Cape Breton is one of the most beautiful places on the planet and the people are extremely friendly and helpful. You will not be disappointed with a visit. Some of the more spectacular seascapes and views are a little off the beaten path but an easy drive through the Cape Breton Highlands should leave you breathless. Good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I guess if you are just looking for places to park your car and take pictures of shoreline, I could maybe see how you might be dissapointed, although...even then I'm surprised. But if you are looking for a place that has an amazing 400 year continual culture, a musical tradition that is as rich as anywhere in the world and a variety of interesting people and places, I think you couldn't do better. Those things make great pictures as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    indeed, Mabou is almost the epicentre of east coast (not including Nfld though) music. One campground in Cape Breton I passed up and regret not staying at was Corney Brook. Right by the ocean looking westish. Hiking nearby I believe but the view out the tent would be something else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Newfoundland is #1, Nova Scotia is #2, in my experience.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin