Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,792   Online: 829

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Gaspé, Prince Edward, NS

Planning an August 2010 2-3 week trip and need a bit of help. I live about 9 hour drive from Quebec City, which we will do the first day. After that I am bamvboozled, even after some time web surfing. I am interested in fishing villages, countryside, and experienced a new areas not B4 visited. My questions are:

1. Where can I find availability of ferrys in the maritmes?
    2. Can Isle de madeleine be visited via ferry?
    3. If I go east using the north shore of the St Lawrence, are there boats across to Gaspé city?
    4. Is Newfoundland accessible by car?
    5. Which are the towns on the Gaspé that should be visited?

Any other practical info would also be useful. Thanks for your help. I know it is not a well visited location for APUGers, but thought there might be a few folks that might know it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/...Schedules.aspx for ferries between the mainland and NL.

http://www.traversiers.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.php for ferries across the St Lawrence east of Quebec City.

Newfoundland is only accessible by ferry. Not sure what you mean by "not B4 visited" the whole area is a tourist destination, it's only varies by how many tourists go to any individual part.

For Isle de Madeleaine http://www.tourismeilesdelamadeleine...ng-725-car.cfm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're trying to cram a lot into two or three weeks. I spent two weeks in Newfoundland last year and I didn't even get off the Avalon Peninsula, which is just a tiny portion of Newfoundland on the east coast. Gros Morne National Park justifies a week to itself.

Quebec City justifies several days. I spent two weeks there in 2000, although we did some day trips to Ile d'Orleans and Ile aux Coudres (both well worth visiting). There is spectacular scenery down the St. Lawrence Valley in Saguenay (fjords for example) but we didn't have time to go that far.

Newfoundland is accessible by ferry - but it's an 18-hour ferry ride from Sydney, Nova Scotia to Argentia, Newfoundland and then two hours to St. John's (which needs a week or more itself), or if you take the ferry to Port aux Basques, on the west end of the island (about 12 hours from Sydney, NS) you need about 8 hours to drive to St. John's.

In 3 weeks you could do Quebec City, Saguenay, and into New Brunswick. You might even have time for a few days in Prince Edward Island. You will certainly get some of your fishing villages there. The most stereotypical ones are in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland & Labrador, but that is (in my opinion) getting too far afield.

I've lived in Canada for 42 years and I still haven't been to all the provinces (NB & PEI this June, NS next May and I'll have the complete set!). Don't get overtaken by the need to do it all at once. It's 7,000 km coast to coast east to west and north to south.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Gaspe

Is it logical to combine part of the trip traveling by ferry at night? Is the Gaspe a good place to visit vis the others mentioned if I haven't visited any of the maritimes before? Perhaps it makes more sense to head directly to Bangor, St. John , etc.? Thanks for the website info, very helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could certainly do the ferry at night, but you're looking at a full day to get to St. John's, NL and a full day to get back to the mainland. If you only have 2-3 weeks that will chop two days off your actual doing-stuff time.

If you had three weeks you could do a driving route along the St. Lawrence into New Brunswick to Moncton, then south to Saint John, NB which is only 100-200 km from Bangor, ME. (I'll be in New Brunswick myself in June.) Doing the north shore of the St. Lawrence would be nice but you'll need to find a ferry - there is one from somewhere in Gaspésie to Dalhousie, NB. I'm not sure about costs or timetables but you should be able to find it on google.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd been hoping to hit Nfld as well this summer but that went out the window. Wife had three weeks or so which I didn't think was enough time to do it all (we'd been east before so could skip some). Nfld itself has to be at least three weeks imo. Gros Morne and L'Anse Aux Meadows are key places on the west side and don't be fooled by the maps. It may look easy and fast but in reality will take longer than you'd think.

Cape Breton Island is worth more than a few days as well. We took the overnight ferry from Portland to Yarmouth arriving crack of dawn. Loved the Ingonish area.

My suggestion would be to see NS, PEI and NB and save Nfld for another trip when you have more time.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've spent two 16 day trips to Nova Scotia/PEI in the last few years and in neither have I seen half of the province. There's a lot to see, even if most of the stops are short because the things you come across are interesting and photogenic without being long term absorbing. I think you do need to choose an area, get there as quickly as you can, and stick to it.

I'd love to photograph in Newfoundland. The reason I haven't is that distances /driving times seem long and the ratio between driving and photography doesn't seem quite right to me. On Nova Scotia things seem closer together and more accessible and you certainly won't be short of pretty (and gritty) fishing ports. Personally I'm ambivalent about much of PEI and its not an area i'd want to visit in summer with lots of beach-seekers and the whole "Anne of Green Gables" thing which I just don't get. Otherwise PEI is pretty much flat or gently undulating farmland.

My last visit to NS was in fall, when the foliage is spectacular - bear in mind it really isn't along way from Acadia- and without the crowds of Vermont and Acadia. The downside is that a good part of the tourist accommodation is closed for the winter and so are many of the cafes/lunch stops. I'd have a look on flickr to see some pictures of these areas in high summer- I've been in July and found the countryside not terribly interesting whereas in autumn it can be extremely photogenic. So in summer the interest lies even more strongly on the coast.

You can see some NS/PEI photographs on my website www.photography001.com in the "new work" gallery.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    1. Where can I find availability of ferrys in the maritmes?
    google where you want to go. There's a ferry to the Magdalens from PEI and I think one from Nova Scotia too. Ferry to Port Aux Basques (closer, more rural area) and Argentia (closer to St. Johns) from Sydney Nova Scotia. I think Port Aux Basques is more interesting, and it's a lot shorter. You could also drive up to Labrador from there.

2. Can Isle de madeleine be visited via ferry?
    Yes, and it's a nice trip. 5 hour ish ferry ride if I remember correctly.

3. If I go east using the north shore of the St Lawrence, are there boats across to Gaspé city?
    No idea.

4. Is Newfoundland accessible by car?
    Well...it's an island. But you can bring your car on the ferry. I imagine it's very expensive. I hitchhiked and I think the walk on was $100 each way or more.

5. Which are the towns on the Gaspé that should be visited?

Newfoundland is amazing. But it's very far away and huge, a trip to itself. Cape Breton, in Nova Scotia, is definitely the most interesting part of Nova Scotia. The Magdalen Islands are amazing. PEI can be a disspointment, kind of tourist land. But nice.

My Magdalen Islands Pictures:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmce...7604326548493/

Pictures from a trip through Nova Scotia, Cape Breton, Newfoundland and Labrador:
    http://paulmcevoy.viewbook.com/canad...UA-5309626-1#1

All the best!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These places I have visited, all began driving from Toronto: Newfoundland, Nova Scotia , Cape Breton I, PEI, and the Gaspe penninsula.

Newfoundland is by far the best. PEI was pretty boring. Heard great things about the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Is. but I was underwhelmed. Gaspe (town) was nice, but a long way to drive just for that. After a week of driving around Nova Scotia, my teenaged daughter announced form the back seat of the rental car: I'm not getting out to look at another lighthouse!
    Last edited by frank; 03-15-2010 at 10:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    I think Canuhead has the best suggestion so far, to see Nfld in a separate trip from NS, PEI and NB. Combining NB, NS and PEI makes good sense from a travel standpoint - you can drive into NB and drive the fixed link onto PEI, then take the ferry to NS.

Since I live in the Maritimes, feel free to ask away if you have questions about the area and I'll do my best to answer them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin