Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,605   Online: 1266

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    Scottish weather (particularly the west coast) is notoriously fickle - you might get rain, wind, sun at any time of the year. More often than not on the same day . You might be lucky, you might be unlucky - you can't really guarantee anything...
    What time of year are you thinking of visiting?
    We will have a window of opportunity to visit in mid/late June 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    For an accurate guide that Scots would actually use themselves try this book (It's not really a standard guidebook but more a list of decent food places and interesting things to do / places to visit):
    We will order the book! Thank you.

What gear would you take?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not sure I would carry equipment from two 35mm systems with me unless I really wanted to cover different media like E-6 transparencies, color negative and b&w negative. However, if you are going to rent a car, and you really should, and if your wife is willing to carry a camera or two as well as the sketching equipment....It would still be a lot to juggle if all carried at once. I think at least one moderate telephoto like the Nikon 50-135mm lens would prove useful for isolating spectacular parts of the coastal scenery in the Western Isles (btw, I love that lens).

If you get to Skye, do not miss the view of the Black Cuillins from Elgol. Skye is full of spectacular vistas. Be ready for single lane roads that require frequent stops in pull-offs to let on-coming cars pass. The earlier comments on the weather are spot on: it is common for conditions to change in either direction quite quickly. Midgies can be very distracting, depending on the wind conditions: do some research on ways to avoid them (I have been lucky and have experienced them on few occasions, but they were memorable).

You probably know this, but always carry all of your film in carry-on baggage, it may very well be spoiled by scanning if in the hold baggage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would take the hassy and try to borrow a tripod from a UK/local photographer. There may be less of a midge problem in the Outer Hebrides especially in June but the west coast mainland can be very bad. You may need one of these and some gloves

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posted wirelessly..

I would definitely go with Hassy plus tripod. Incredibly beautiful, moody, rugged landscapes await. If you don't mind shooting slowly, I'd also bring something to protect your camera if it's setup on your tripod. That way you can wait out mistings and catch some of the gnarley clouds that roll through. Enjoy!
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul, I'd have agreed with others on taking the Hassy, but it looks like you are using an SWC in place of a wideangle and that is a complicating factor as you will definitely want/need a reasonable wideangle. I'm also wondering what you intend to do about processing? I'd have said there was no chance of getting MF film processed at all (although there are mailorder labs), but 35mm C41 print film processing should be available. While I'm open to correction, I'd say the Hebrides were just about a film-free zone as far as film and chemicals are concerned, so be prepared to take everything with you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post
    Paul, I'd have agreed with others on taking the Hassy, but it looks like you are using an SWC in place of a wideangle and that is a complicating factor as you will definitely want/need a reasonable wideangle. I'm also wondering what you intend to do about processing? I'd have said there was no chance of getting MF film processed at all (although there are mailorder labs), but 35mm C41 print film processing should be available. While I'm open to correction, I'd say the Hebrides were just about a film-free zone as far as film and chemicals are concerned, so be prepared to take everything with you.
    What would you say to my shipping all film separately, then having it shipped back as well?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    What would you say to my shipping all film separately, then having it shipped back as well?
    This is beyond my knowledge as I don't know how much x-rays the film might be subjected to. If you are shooting Ilford, there is no need to have it jetting over the pond just to jet back again, and reliable UK delivery should be OK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    We get 44 lbs (20 kilos) , checked luggage and 11lbs. (5 kilos) carry on. This has to last us the trip.

Rain gear, warm clothes, good shoes, weight of luggage itself, camera gear (tripod??), light clothing, trinkets to appease the natives etc. etc. etc. all add up.
    It's like the speed limit: just because you CAN go fast, doesn't mean you have to. Pack light, take one type of film, make good pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post
    This is beyond my knowledge as I don't know how much x-rays the film might be subjected to. If you are shooting Ilford, there is no need to have it jetting over the pond just to jet back again, and reliable UK delivery should be OK.
    OK! What would be closest supplier of Ilford? Who could supply some good Fuji 120 film and processing? Kinda like to do what I can there.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We will have a window of opportunity to visit in mid/late June 2011.

We will order the book! Thank you.

What gear would you take?
    You might be in midgie-zone at that time - wee biting beasties that like being near water, like windless damp days, esp at dusk and dawn. You might be better in the Hebrides than some other places because of the extra wind! June-ish to September-ish is the midgie season.

Gear-wise, I'd probably take the Hassy system, tripod and one Leica with the three lenses.

As for processing + xrays, I've been mailing unexposed 120 film from the UK to a lab in the USA for years now (see www.dr5.com) and never had a problem with x-ray fogging. Send it Royal Mail Airsure for Tracked delivery:
    http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/j...mediaId=400034

Forget about finding film stockists on your travels, you'll have to mail order film. With a bit of planning, I'm sure you could arrange film to be sent to your hotel / b+b ahead of your visit for you to collect. I buy all my film here:
    http://www.discountfilmsdirect.co.uk/

and this is a great lab for processing (my local lab here in Edinburgh), am sure they'll do mail order if you email them to check:
    http://www.amimage.co.uk/

Cheers,
    Gavin
    Last edited by coigach; 03-21-2010 at 05:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin