Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,477   Online: 883

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The things that worry me the the most about this eruption that I've seen on TV recently besides the environmental effects is that the last time it happened to this volcano about two hundred years ago it erupted for two years!, the effect it will have on the already fragile European economy as a whole, not just Iceland's, probably sending it back into recession, and the devastating effect it will have on the already struggling European airlines it's costing millions a day.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    That's some amazing footage.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The things that worry me the the most about this eruption that I've seen on TV recently besides the environmental effects is that the last time it happened to this volcano about two hundred years ago it erupted for two years!, the effect it will have on the already fragile European economy as a whole, not just Iceland's, probably sending it back into recession, and the devastating effect it will have on the already struggling European airlines it's costing millions a day.
    Last point first: they may be losing millions a day. But they are earning those same millions a day for 365 days per year.
    It's no worse for airlines and airports to 'have a few days off' than for anyone else. So absolutely nothing to worry about there.

Like you, i'm in one of those countries the ash is supposed to be over. Besides airports being closed, air traffic halted, we haven't noticed anything of it yet. Not the promised extra colourful sunrises and sunsets. No haze to spoil the blue skies we have been enjoying this week.

That's not implying that there is no ash drifting somewhere. But the reports are grossely exagerated. Why, even gliders are grounded! (And you know how high they go, and how many engines they have that could fail.)
    There's a habit of blowing everything that could be bad up out of every proportion lately (Remember the swine flu anyone?). This is one of those thingies.

It will not take long for this madness to blow over (pun intended) and for air traffic to start up again.

And we will still be wanting our money back from Iceland.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    That's some amazing footage.
    I agree, but some of those folks walking around seem awfully close to the eruption. :o
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Last point first: they may be losing millions a day. But they are earning those same millions a day for 365 days per year.
    It's no worse for airlines and airports to 'have a few days off' than for anyone else. So absolutely nothing to worry about there.

Like you, i'm in one of those countries the ash is supposed to be over. Besides airports being closed, air traffic halted, we haven't noticed anything of it yet. Not the promised extra colourful sunrises and sunsets. No haze to spoil the blue skies we have been enjoying this week.

That's not implying that there is no ash drifting somewhere. But the reports are grossely exagerated. Why, even gliders are grounded! (And you know how high they go, and how many engines they have that could fail.)
    There's a habit of blowing everything that could be bad up out of every proportion lately (Remember the swine flu anyone?). This is one of those thingies.

It will not take long for this madness to blow over (pun intended) and for air traffic to start up again.

And we will still be wanting our money back from Iceland.
    Several airlines like Air Italia were close to going bankrupt before this disaster struck and so was British Airways .http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...closed_uk.html you don't know what your talking about.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's hard to believe in one's fellow man sometimes.

They interviewed hopeful travellers at a UK airport for the news. On the radio I heard a man say 'That stupid island Iceland. First they steal all our money and now they cancel all our holidays!'

It makes one despair about some of the human race.
    Tim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I agree, but some of those folks walking around seem awfully close to the eruption. :o
    Thats icelandic people for you! NUTS!!!!!!!

They have been having issue with people getting lost and dying and also getting way to close, in Iceland they trust you to be sensible but for some reason some people just do not get how burnt your finger could get

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last eruption of this sort, 200 years ago, was written about by Benjamin Franklin. At that time, they noted that Europe had the year with no summer due to the ash cloud.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The last eruption of this sort, 200 years ago, was written about by Benjamin Franklin. At that time, they noted that Europe had the year with no summer due to the ash cloud.

PE
    Wrong volcano, its near it but not that one, and if that one goes off people will really have something to moan about, people in the east of iceland are stuck in there homes and people are moaning they cant fly, STUPID!

Also that last eruption killed 1/5th of the population

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    Wrong volcano, its near it but not that one, and if that one goes off people will really have something to moan about, people in the east of iceland are stuck in there homes and people are moaning they cant fly, STUPID!

Also that last eruption killed 1/5th of the population
    I never said it was the same volcano. In fact, the reports did not say what relationship it had to the current volcano, only that it was severe and in Iceland.

Sorry.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin