Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,682   Online: 753

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Holy Smoke, Batman! What are all those streaks across the sky i see today?!

They are con trails, produced by airliners flying overhead, Robin.
    And don't use Smoke's name in vain!

Have you heard the news? Flying again. Since yesterday evening.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Whew! Wanted to let you guys know -Q.G., you were really worried about me, weren't you?- that I managed to fly across Europe today, first time after the "volcano effect", and with both engines running and dumping dirt trails!!

;-)
    :-D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marco.taje View Post
    Whew! Wanted to let you guys know -Q.G., you were really worried about me, weren't you?- that I managed to fly across Europe today, first time after the "volcano effect", and with both engines running and dumping dirt trails!!

;-)
    :-D
    Good news for me. I am about to leave for Madrid, with final destination La Coru˝a in northwestern Spain. I was not concerned about Madrid as it has been open to flights from the US, but a few northern airports in Spain had some flights cancelled due to the volcanic ash. Hopefully they will all be open tomorrow morning when I am ready to take the connecting flight.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Why, even gliders are grounded! (And you know how high they go, and how many engines they have that could fail.)
    Last time I checked, gliders need tow planes. Do you know another way that I do not know?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The saga continued. Here in Australia, Qantas has maintained that it will not be flying out of the UK or Europe today (Wednesday), despite UK and Europe airports re-opening, the reason given that it's a long haul flight and it needs to guarantee departures, which it can't do due to "conflicting, puzzling reports". I'm wondering how the mail gets through on the UK-Australia/Europe-Australia run? Maybe it hitches a ride on the HMS Ark Royal — how snazzy...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And, a friend of mine has told me that many airlines have increased their air fares by up to 4x.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Last time I checked, gliders need tow planes. Do you know another way that I do not know?

Steve
    As opposed to the US, where most gliders are launched by an aero tow, in Europe most gliders are launched by large winches on the ground.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    As opposed to the US, where most gliders are launched by an aero tow, in Europe most gliders are launched by large winches on the ground.
    Catapults, Bungee launchers and several other methods.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, i do.

A winch.
    A long cable, stretching from one end of the strip to the other, hooked to the glider. A winch that starts reeling in that cable, towing the glider along the strip at speed.
    You'll be amazed how quick they get up in the air that way. Very steep too.
    They unclip the cable when level, and a small parachute attached to it makes it fall down a bit gentler as it otherwise would.

Using a motor plane to pull them up requires somewhat of a 'grown-up' airfield, with all bells and whistles. The local club can't afford to run such a thing. They can't afford a tow plane either, and have been winching gliders up since the 1930s.

They can't get up very high, need to gain altitude by doing what the sport entails: find and use thermals.
    And that cable has to be towed back to where the planes are waiting to go up after every launch.
    But it works fine.

Yet, they were grounded...

P.S.
    Obvious that i didn't read on and see resummerfield's answer, isn't it?
    Sorry for the redundancy.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Steve
    Actually, there are at least two other ways: tow by a motor vehicle and tow using a winch.

Se here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliding#Launch_methods

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin