Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,406   Online: 787

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Jediadiah Smith STP

Heading up to So. west Oregon this week end and will be stopping to take photos at Jed. Smith State Park Monday or Tuesday,probably around Stout Grove. If there is any local Apug'rs that can give any advise to time or places to go I will appreciate.Will be using my 5x7 camera equipment with a small wagon to carry the stuff.

Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Howland Hill Road through Jed Smith is a must. Photograph right from the road! (On Google Maps, just type in the name of the road and "crescent city, ca") The attached image is an 8x10 set up on the edge of the road in February.

You might want to take a drive up Hwy 199 a ways. Some nice views of the Smith River, if you can find a turn-out.

On your way north, take the Avenue of the Giants in southern Humboldt County -- and Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkwa through Prairie Creek Redwoods SP in northern Humboldt County. Some nice short hikes off the Drury Parkway -- check out the Corkscrew Tree.

Looks like you are in for some mixed weather -- not always the easiest to photograph in, but a great way to experience the redwoods. Enjoy!

Vaughn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MillCrJedSmith.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Vaughn,I will try to make some carbon trans. negs.The weather is some that can't be predicted,don,t get up there often so will do what I can.
    Mike
    Last edited by mike c; 03-25-2010 at 09:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Let me know if I can be of any help when you are up this way!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vaughn,I'm going to be using adox 25 and arista 100 and my old stand by TXP in 5x7.From what I gather carbon transfer works better with higher contrast negs.Is this the case for you also.Thinking the adox is a pretty contrasty film,but in the past I have used other films with my med format camera and have had the shadow area's go empty.Under the canopy of those tall tree shadow areas can get very black.How do you deal with that situation and still keep a neg suitable for Carbon printing.
    Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Same old thing -- exposing for those shadows. And adding a couple stops for reciprocity failure, as I am usually around f64 give or take a stop. I let the very small areas I don't need detail in to be clear -- gives me that extra raised relief. The reciprocity failure (RF) can provide a boost in contrast, too. If I accidently do anything wrong, it is usually not compensating for the RF enough on those multiple minute exposures. (TMax and Acros are easier to work with because of that.)

And then I give the film about double the "normal" development to boost the contrast if I need to. Sunny days, with sunlight coming through the trees, I do not need to boost the development much -- overcast days, I do.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Vaughn, that was about what I was thinking,looks like I'm going to have overcast days there next week but you never know.
    Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Climate is something one has, and weather is what one gets...and it looks like weather is what we'll be getting for the next week or so. Saturday is looking the best, but that can change!

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't mind the weather to much when photographing some time there is really cool stuff happening, sort of lighting.Its the driving that makes it tough.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin