Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,012   Online: 677

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I went to Paris in February 2009, I took my Nikon F6 and Nikkor f/2.0 35 mm, Zeiss f/1.4 and Nikkor f/2.8 105 Macro lenses. The lens I used most was the 35 mm, followed by the 50 mm, the 105 very seldom for architectural details. If I were to go now, I'd take a rangefinder camera with a 35 mm lens in it's place and replace the 35 mm Nikkor with a 28 mm lens, a focal length I now prefer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bring one body and either all three lenses or the two most used. Definitely bring the HP5+ and definitely don't bring a tripod. Have fun.

Tim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Having just come from living in Paris for three years, I can guarantee you'll want to do a lot of walking, so pare off the ounces. I would not take a tripod, though a small Leica-style tabletop tripod can be useful for late evening photography. I often shot APX100, but the weather can be variable in Paris, so under cloudy conditions you could be facing slower exposures. I'd opt for the HP5+ and if you find you've got a lot of light, rate it at 200 and develop in D76 with additional ammonium chloride. I usually went out with a 35mm lens on a rangefinder camera, or a Pentax SM 50mm on my Canon T90. I'd sometimes bring along a 90mm for the RF, but rarely used it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go with either camera body, and with 3 lenses. Film HP5, don't have to worry about a tripod.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of sensible advice so far.
    I've decided to take just HP5+ and no tripod as we will probably be doing a lot of walking going from sight to sight.
    I'm still wondering if I should even bother with an SLR for this sort of trip and just go around with my Yashica T5?
    I'm anticipating taking cafe interior shots (which I think I can get away with, just, using EV400), store fronts, street shots and monuments. Would I really miss the manual control in these circumstances I wonder?
    Last edited by BoxBrownie; 04-09-2010 at 04:49 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    35mm
    If I were you, I would choose 1 SLR with one or two lenses, and 1 P&S camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

great blog

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    When I went to Paris in February 2009
    great blog!

rhmimac
    Give me some more E6 film…

please...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'll no longer travel to places I really want to photograph with a p/s camera, because I got caught once in a situation where my p/s (half-frame Yashica -- neat camera) could not focus accurately. So frustrating to know that if only I'd taken a focusable camera I'd have got the pictures I wanted. So I'll never make an non-focusable camera my sole camera for anything important.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Paris is my favorite city in the world and I try to visit it for at least a few days each year.

I find that I shoot quite a bit of 3200 speed film on my visits, even though I usually use a rangefinder camera. I use the higher speed film inside the museums, cafes, and churches. I also use it at night if I go out without my tripod. I recommend that you toss in a few rolls of 3200 for the trip. Remember to have it hand searched at the airport.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I did it and it went quiet well I think. Have developed a couple of reels so far (took 1/2 dozen or so reels) and they look quite good. Will post some up in the next few days along with a little piece on what worked and what didn't etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin