Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,661   Online: 1142

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Simple kit for Paris - OM2n?

Hi Folks, I'm off to Paris for 4 days at the end of the week and want to keep it simple.
    I'm thinking to take either my Olympus OM2n or Nikon F3 and very little else if possible.
    What else though? Ideally 1 lens (I have 28mm, 50mm and 135mm for both cameras).
    The other option is something like a Mju 2 or Yashica T5 - ie point and shoot though I obviously will have no control over exposure.

Can I get away with Fomapan 100 or do I really need something like HP5+?
    Also is it worth taking a light tripod or would it be more hassle than it's worth?

I won't be on my own so I won't be able to hold people up for too long I guess but might be able to slip off here and there. Any advice much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would take both camera's. One with 28 mm and the other with 50 mm. Then you don't have to switch lenses. Or take one camera with the 28 an 50 mm lens.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I would just take the OM-2n with both the 28 and 50... actually, I'll be in Paris again soon and that's exactly what I'm going to do, as I have the same gear

As for film, I've yet to try Fomapan but one can never go wrong with HP5+. It is my usual "go to" film.

No need for a tripod, I should imagine.

Shooter
    35mm
    If this is a photography trip, take everything. If this isn't a photography trip, take the OM2n and a 50mm lens and nothing else.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    If this is a photography trip, take everything. If this isn't a photography trip, take the OM2n and a 50mm lens and nothing else.
    Hmm I'm leaning towards this. I'd like it to be a photo trip but it's really a sight-seeing museum & all you can fit in tour for our relatives from Australia. Maybe I'll keep it ultra-simple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paris on 50mm

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    take the OM2n and a 50mm lens and nothing else.
    I did the same:Nikon F65/50f1.8/Superia400, it's all you need if you're hopping in and out trains/subway/taxis/musea.

rhmimac
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan10026.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    What I would do is take my OM2n w/50mm lens, and then pocket my XA4 (28mm lens). Then I have normal and wide lenses, and the option to just take one camera or the other.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In European cities, I always like having a wide lens. You don't always have room to back up for desired composition. So I'd go with taking both the 28mm and the 50mm. They're so small, one can easily go in a pocket. Or small waist pack. Or a companion's purse (or your purse).

I'd keep it simple and just load up with HP5. Personally, I would not bother with a tripod unless photography is your prime purpose.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Three Olympus lenses? They are tiny - I'd take them all .

Personally, I would regret not having a longer lens to compress perspective. You may end up using it less than the others, but the 135mm will get you shots that you will appreciate.

The last time I travelled in Europe (a long time ago) I had this exact kit (28mm f/3.5, 50mm and 135mm f/3.5) as well as a small pouch that held the two lenses not on the camera body, and it worked well.

EDIT: I also carried a monopod that strapped on the side of my shoulder bag
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I would take the 28mm lens with which ever body you feel most comfortable with.

I do lots of these sorts of trips: a few days in an interesting city with people who don't want to wait around all the time while I set-up a shot. If you're doing lots of walking, a smaller and lighter kit will also be more pleasant.

I've never longed for another lens, another body or a different film type. In fact, in a city like Paris, you should have your attention on the sights not your equipment.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin