Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,167   Online: 1081

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

2 weeks New York in november

Hi guys,

There is a decent change that I am going to New York for two weeks in november this year. One week I will be busy shooting a convention other week I have time on my hands. I feel like (of course) doing some photography nut also meet up with fellow apuggers. And to visit some interesting site like the studio that uses the 20x24 polaroid camera.
    Also some local 2nd hand markets or such or always nice to go to.

It is quite a long time away but for a change I decided to start early doing some research and get some feedback from feloow apuggers. O and probably things need to be low budget since the trip and overnight cost will blow my budget.

So any suggestions are welcome. Of course I will do resaerch myself as well.
    Last edited by Peter de Groot; 04-08-2010 at 07:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Peter, Id be interested to know as well, im going to NYC in june and wondering other than the normal beaten path what else can you do there...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you like doing gallery shows, pick up the Village Voice free first thing when you get here and look at the photo listings. You can also check them online at www.villagevoice.com, but I find the paper easier to deal with. My usual pattern is to find one or two shows that I really want to see, and then see what's going on at nearby galleries, since they are mostly clustered in a few neighborhoods.

For interesting second hand photo gear (not cheap though), I recommend Lens and Repro these days.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks David. I'll have a look. I have some plans but nothing outlined yet. Want to see If i can visit that polaroid studio. Other then that I have nothing much. Going to buy some 220 rollfilms and wander around and shoot some pics if wheather permits.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just walk around. One day north, the next south, etc. I never get tired of it. The usual tourist spots are great places to "shoot the shooter". Don't forget the "outer" boroughs - Brooklyn has a lot of hot, trendy neighborhoods and Queens has more diversity in Flushing than most cities.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can buy your film here at B&H, Adorama (both of which are closed early on Friday through Saturday), or Calumet (which is open until 5 p.m. Friday and on Saturday, but doesn't have as much of a selection of film as B&H), but if you want B&W 220, better stock up now on TXP wherever you can get it, if you can still find any.

In New York you shouldn't have a problem finding 220 color film, but to be on the safe side, if you use a camera that isn't switchable between 120 and 220, it's a good idea to bring a 120 back. I got stuck in San Francisco once mistakenly thinking I should have no trouble finding TXP 220 at Gasser's (they didn't stock it anymore) or Calumet (ran out).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One week to go and I am off the Big Apple. Are there beside Lens and Repro any other interesting 2nd hand shops? First week I am staying in Manhatten. The second week I am staying in Brooklynn. Since I only have three days of spare time I'd like to use them wisely. However above mentions are noted.

Greets,

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could pick a neighborhood and just walk around - you will probably find plenty to shoot, both in Manhattan and Brooklyn (since you'll be staying in these two boroughs). Recent neighborhoods that I've explored that come to mind are Greenwich Village, Chelsea, Tribeca and Coney Island. The first three are in Manhattan, while the last one is in Brooklyn. This is just to give you some ideas. Of course, there's a whole lot more! I find Greenwich Village very bohemian - lots of food places, and live music (the Blue Note is a famous jazz club in this neighborhood). Coney Island has a boardwalk with lots of interesting things to photograph - it is closed for the season now, so only the locals are around.

Good luck, and have fun!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Peter- B+H and Adorama plus Calumet have used equipment...Calumet and L+R are one street behind each other....Calumet a few blocks away...all the others have faded away or are on the internet
    feel free to PM if you would like to hook up...lived in NYC for close to 30 years
    only in Ct. now and can come in...
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter de Groot View Post
    One week to go and I am off the Big Apple. Are there beside Lens and Repro any other interesting 2nd hand shops?
    There are currently in excess of 25,000 used pieces in Adorama's Used department!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin