Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,564   Online: 781

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't miss Ghost Ranch and Abiqui (sp) two place that are very photogenic.... also gotta go try to find Hernandez, don't you? There's a nice loop around the back country East and North of SF. The Pecos Pueblo is worth seeing. Most are pretty depressing. Otherwise, have some fun!
    Logan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whlogan View Post
    Don't miss Ghost Ranch and Abiqui (sp) two place that are very photogenic.... also gotta go try to find Hernandez, don't you? There's a nice loop around the back country East and North of SF. The Pecos Pueblo is worth seeing. Most are pretty depressing. Otherwise, have some fun!
    Logan
    Also take the High Road to Taos, it starts roughly NE of Espanola through Truchas, Las Trampas, and a couple of other small towns. Take the Enchanted Circle drive from Taos east through Angel Fire, Eagles Nest, Red River, Questa, and back to Taos; or even better if you have 4wd, westbound from Taos to Questa. There is a logging road that goes over the mountain pass to Red River, then continue on through Eagles Nest and Angel Fire.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for all the recommendations and the tips about break-ins at Canyon de Chelly. I'm trying to get away from that sort of thing! Skyrick, I've driven the high road before and really liked it, but there is almost no room to pull of the road. I'm really trying not to spend my whole vacation in the car, even though driving in NM is nice. Having said that, I'd also like to go to White Sands. I'm not sure if it is worth the effort or not. Any thoughts on White Sands would be great. Also, how concerned must one be about getting sand in equipment there? Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Santa Fe is a small town and yes it closes up early. I lived there for a couple of years and when I went out to eat, I usually drove to Albuquerque because there is not much in Santa Fe except fast food (YUCK) and ultra expensive places where lunch costs $50 a person (couldn't afford that...was cheaper to buy gas to go to ABQ and eat at middle-class oriented places).
    I don't know where you were in Santa Fe but there are a LOT of excellent small restaurants. They don't, mostly, cost 50 a person... actually I can only think of a couple that do, though they are all a bit more expensive than Abq. SF is one of those cities that talks about shutting down fast food. FWIW I live 2 hours from SF, go there often and lived there for a while a few years ago. Lots of culture, lots more photogenic IMHO than Abq which is more mainstream USA.

Images
    Depends on the winds. Spring is windy in the southwest
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebes View Post
    I don't know where you were in Santa Fe but there are a LOT of excellent small restaurants. They don't, mostly, cost 50 a person... actually I can only think of a couple that do, though they are all a bit more expensive than Abq. SF is one of those cities that talks about shutting down fast food. FWIW I live 2 hours from SF, go there often and lived there for a while a few years ago. Lots of culture, lots more photogenic IMHO than Abq which is more mainstream USA.
    Santa Fe is a small town, so it doesn't matter where in town you are, lol. I could not afford the few places that served food I could get myself to eat. I don't do seafood or asian or anything else strange. I have an EXTREMELY delicate stomach, the tiniest bit of spiciness makes me get very sick very fast. So, I only eat very bland, plain things. Basically most American midwest type stuff. That kind of food is virtually nonexistant in Santa. I agree that ABQ is very normal-americano looking, but I didn't go there to take pictures, I went there to eat and shop. Fast food will never be shut down in Santa Fe no matter how much the granola crunchers wring their hands, the city has a lot of people who actually have to work for a living and can afford nothing else. I wasn't that poor, but I couldn't afford most of the decent places there either. I would rather live in Santa Fe than my hometown in Indiana for a lot of reasons having to do with culture. My family is from Spain and I simply fit in better in Santa Fe. That said, living in a city of 300,000 people does make life easier in many ways. I don't have to leave town to buy clothes I can afford or to go out to eat, as I did in Santa Fe.

I know I won't make any friends saying this too, but I found the landscape generally depressing in New Mexico. I missed seeing actual water in rivers and landscapes that are green and alive. There are more than 100 lakes, all natural lakes, in northeast Indiana alone. One of my grandfathers owned a lake cottage and I spent a lot of my childhood up there with him. I miss the culture in NM though, and I plan to go back to NM after my son graduates from high school. His mother was institutionalized by the state, she has psychiatric problems, so I came back to Indiana to get custody of him 2 yrs ago.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Chris, I fully understand what you mean regarding the landscape. I live in Kansas, but I grew up in Maryland and really miss green canopy, real rivers, etc. I do like the landscape in NM, though. And, I love spicy and "strange" food. The hotter, the better. As for Asian food, I usually eat Vietnamese food a few times a week. Or Indian. Or Thai. Or sushi. Or Korean. (So that's why I've gained a ton of weight!) I guess that's where we diverge. Anyhow, I'm sure Indiana has plenty of beautiful areas. I was told the other day that Kansas only has two natural lakes, both on private property.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try as I might, I couldn't find anything remotely spicy in NM. I have an extremely UN-delicate stomach, though .

Even though I don't live around any real nature myself, I'm so used to greenery & water that desert landscapes are significantly more interesting to me. Wish I had more opportunity to go to NM again...would love to see White Sands.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Last time I was in SF for a conference, I found a place near the hotel called the Atomic Grill. Beer and some sort of burrito thing if I recall. It was good and affordable. I ate lunch there most days.

For spicy food, which I love, in NM look for green chiles. Get it with everything. Breakfast burrito with green chiles. Mac and cheese with green chiles. Enchiladas with green chiles. It's all good. They aren't super spicy, but give a pleasant kick and some nice flavor.

I loved Carlsbad caverns when I was younger. Worth checking out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

El Malpais National Monument

Just wanted to add my $.02. I was just in New Mexico in November and centered our stay in Albuquerque. We went to El Malpais National Monument and hiked around. It's a great place if you want to avoid the crowds and they have a great arch that's easy to get to. It's about one hour west of Albuquerque.
    http://www.nps.gov/elma/index.htm.
    Last edited by toro_mike; 04-16-2010 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: alignment issues

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin