Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
China would also be a good option. I've spent quite a bit of time there, but mainly in the north (Heilongjiang and Jilin Provinces). The climate there might be too similar to Canada for you. It's the same size as Canada (roughly). You would never see it all in six months, so plan carefully if you decide to go there...
johnny, thanks for the tip - I think it would be a fine destination for me at the moment - I've always been interested in China and would like to see as much of it as I can. I'll still be 'going with the wind' so I very well may end up elsewhere but Beijing should be an interesting start.

Also, regarding my interest in world affairs, activism & documentary work regarding situations of civil injustice, etc. : I have been interested in activism before in my life being at one time a regularly-active member of a community-based branch of Amnesty International and frequently sourcing out my news from democracynow.org and other such places for the better part of a decade. For the last year and a half, however, it has all been about photography for me and getting back into a comfort zone when it comes to photographing others in street-work as well as bringing my technical skills back up to snuff after being away from film photography for about 6+ years. I no longer consider myself very politically active or feel the need to take up one global cause or another but I will certainly allow myself to be moved by situations I come across and will help tell other people's stories if I can. At this point I am not going out with any agenda but I do realize there are lots of points of conflict in this world that still need to be documented and are in want of voices to take up their cause. It's just not in my purview for now.

Thanks again!