Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,043   Online: 963

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Appalachians in July

I'm looking to go to the region surrounding Great Smoky Mountains National Park in July. Any specific location and shooting suggestions. What is the weather like in this area at that time? Would there be enough water to shoot waterfalls?
    Shenandoah National Park is also under consideration.
    Last edited by Darkroom317; 04-27-2010 at 04:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    West Virginia is now on the list of ideas.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hot and humid. May I suggest reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods for one perspective (perhaps skewed but funny) of those parks and the AT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes indeed... very hot, very humid. Frankly I'd be pretty uncomfortable there in July. Consider sooner! Or later! Lots of bears, that could be fun. It's been a while but I recall being very impressed by the Smokies near Asheville NC.

I drive through WVa regularly and there are many times I've thought of exploring a bit but haven't gotten to it. Idid have a good time at the Blenko glass factory recently, that would be an interesting spot for occupational photography and abstract macros (as would the nearby coal mines). There are also some good scenic rails spots in WVa, I've heard.

Shenandoah, now that's up in my neck o' the woods....

P.S. Isn't there a spectacular Carnegie mansion somewhere along the blue ridge parkway? I cannot remember the name for the life of me, but possibly a very nice destination.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keith, It's a Vanderbilt mansion: Biltmore in Ashville NC. Insanely big. Appalachia in July... very green and buggy. Pretty though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    P.S. Isn't there a spectacular Carnegie mansion somewhere along the blue ridge parkway? I cannot remember the name for the life of me, but possibly a very nice destination.
    Biltmore mansion, built by the Vanderbilts. More of a huge faux châteaux than a mansion. $55 for a day visit. In Asheville.

Note that in visiting the park you may need to plan around a big landslide that's shut down I-40 on the east side of the Smokies, and travel on the Blue Ridge Parkway was still limited a couple of weeks ago by a landslide there and tens of thousands of downed trees from a big winter storm that are blocking the roadway.

Just checked (http://www.ncdot.org/travel/i40_rockslide) and I-40 appears to be opened, but with only one westbound land. The projections were for a slower reopening of the parkway.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ah yes Biltmore. Thanks. A good destination.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Townsend area is great for flowing water and Cades Cove, too, is another area that is close by to make for great images.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't overlook the High Country, the area further north between Linville and West Jefferson, centered on Boone, Blowing Rock, and Banner Elk. Grandfather Mountain is here as well. There are some waterfalls and rapids; Hebron Rock Colony is very popular and if you like to hike, the Boone Fork Trail is a nice and rugged five mile loop trail that follows Bee Tree Creek for a good distance. The Blue Ridge Parkway runs through the whole region; near Grandfather Mountain is Beacon Heights. further south, closer to Asheville, there is a place off the Parkway called Craggy Gardens, very interesting rocks. Also Appalachian State University (my Alma mater) in Boone, NC has An Appalachian Summer Festival, well worth a look.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Yes indeed... very hot, very humid. Frankly I'd be pretty uncomfortable there in July.
    Unfortunately, I've signed up for Summer semester which starts on June 1 and ends around July 4. After that, I've got relatives coming down from Chicago. This is the only time I could go. All, I've got is a week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin