Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,361   Online: 1173

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    jbj

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you're in Washington and plan on heading south/east then Utah has many amazing places to explore. I'm not talking about the five national parks in Utah, which are usually very crowded and expensive but more like Grand Gulch and environs in southern Utah, San Rafael Swell, Coral Pink Sand dunes, Little Sahara Sand dunes, Uinta and Wasatch moutain ranges, etc. An endless array of options for exploring and photography all year round.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's see should I tell you the places I've been or the ones I want to go to!!!

The 4 corners region - CO/UT/AZ/NM I could spend a couple of years and not see everything. BIG 2nd to Lee's comments about White Sands, was there last around 1967, but very cool place and not that far from Monahans - largest forest in the US, no kidding - Harvard Oaks, get to maybe 3-4 feet tall. UT has Canyon Lands, Brice, Cedar Breaks, the Staircase. Also, in Norther AZ is Navajo NM, Canyon de Chelly (one of my personal favs), Chaco Canyon in NM along with Aztec, Angel Peak, Bitsi Wilderness. Move over to eastern NM and the road from Wagon Mound to Roy to Glenario - See What You Did..got me started and my wife will tell you, once I start..this is country I really love..Oh! Don't forget about Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, 2nd only to the Grand Canyon - would have been NP if it weren't for the Grand Canyon. Let's see the Rio Hondo near Taos, Rio Grand Gorge same area..maybe trace the Rio Grande from is it's source near Alamosa, Co (check out the sand dunes) all the way down to the Gulf of Mexico..

See what I mean...buy lots of maps, atlas, and don't forget to check out the store at any National Park or the BLM...I'll stop now..but could go on and on..and yet there is still so much to see and Ireland/Scotland/Wales, .....
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sand dunes...

Sleeping bear national shore line.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have gone north to Canada a few times but frankly don't like the country that much. It's a pretty country, but it's infested with Canadians who don't like Americans very much and like to rip them off.
    =============

I'm surprised Blansky hasn't picked up on this. The only Americans we rip off, Mike, are the ugly ones. They're the only ones we don't like too. But thanks for your kind words anyway. And you're right. It is a very pretty country infested with some very good people. You could do worse than spending some time up here getting to know some of us.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mike said rudely, "I have gone north to Canada a few times but frankly don't like the country that much. It's a pretty country, but it's infested with Canadians who don't like Americans very much and like to rip them off."

With that type of attitude, please disregard the post that I contributed to your question. I don't want people in Texas that have this sort of attitude.

lee\c

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    With that type of attitude, please disregard the post that I contributed to your question. I don't want people in Texas that have this sort of attitude.

lee\c[/QUOTE]

Too late. You already have millions there with MUCH worse attitudes than mine. Any what's so wrong about generally not liking a country's people very much, anyway? If you have the right to not like people 'like me', then I have the right to not like the types of people I've run into up north. I think you should stay out of WA - I don't like having people with your sort of attitude here.

Images
    Avoid Antelope canyon. It is a tourist trap now. There are plenty of free slot canyons. Since I live in the four corners region I am a bit partial. The above post is right you would never be able to photo all of it. Sand Dunes NP in Colorado is really cool.

I have a billion years before retirement so I am jealous.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have to Antelope Canyon once over 10 years ago just before they started charging and it becoming a tourist trap. It was vertaily beauitful, though. I have heard that there are other slot canyons in the area and I would certainly be interested in hearing about where to find them (private message if you want). I have done some repelling in the Army so I'm comfortable with that whole thing, even tying my own Swiss seat from a piece of rope. So if access is that tough, I can make it. I know that north of Page there are some canyons that you can hike into but I have never gone in that far. This is defenitely the kind of info I would like to get as these are the places I must visit before I'm too old to carry around an 8x10 outfit. Can you pinpoint map locations, GPS numbers, names of guides to contact or anything else? I would make preliminary trips down there before I retire to scout them out, too.

Thanks.

-Mike

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    I haven't done much photography in Europe and would like suggestions. I have to get to Tuscany before I die, that's for certain.
    When you tire of Tuscany, head north. when you reach Norway, turn left (west). Then north along the coast - all the way to the Russian border. If you have enough film, you won't have enough time - and vice versa.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Cottonwood Trail, just off highway 89 between Page AZ and Kanab in Utah is worth a visit. Round Valley Draw is a slot canyon in that area but there are many other interesting locations. The Cottonwood Trail takes you to Kodakchrome Basin, not worth a visit IMO and the on to Bryce and Zion. There are a number of books by Jack Kelsey that chart the Four Corners area including all the slot canyons. I also have a book, Hiking the Escalante by Rudi Lambrechtse, that gives detailed instructions about walks and interesting photographic locations in the Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument. If you do go into that area be careful of sudden rainstorms and flash floods I once got stuck in there for a couple of days because of sudden storms.

If you make it to the UK head straight for the North West of Scotland, it's compact compared to the US but it is breathtakingly beautiful and sometimes very wet.

I wish you good travel and even better light.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin