Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,630   Online: 674

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Multi-year photographic excursion

When I retire (which won't be that many years from now), I plan on buying an RV and spending as many years on the road photographing as I can until the wanderlust leaves me (I expect about 5 years). I'd like to start getting ideas on areas to explore so I can draw out some sort itinerary. I'd like to setup the RV in one spot for a month or more (until I've tired of the spot) and use my Jeep for local exploring. I'll light-proof part of the RV so I can process film and make contact prints.

I'd appreciate some help with ideas. I would like odeas other than the obvious ones like the Nat. Parks, etc. There are a lot of little known areas out there that are beauitful land scapeareas (like the Diablo Hills area in the general vicinity of Monterey, CA). There are the slot canyons around Page, AZ. These are the kind of areas that I'm looking for.

So, if you've come across some nice but little know areas in your travels, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

I particularly like Sand Dunes. I've been to these 1) Great Sand Dunes in Colorado; 2) Death Vallye; 3) Oregon, southern coast stretch. I would like to hear from anyone who has visited Oceano, White Sands or any other large stretch of dunes. I'd like to circle every good-sized area of dunes on a map so I can visit them all.

I also like the rugged\rocky coast. I've been to Maine, Big Sur area, Oregon coastline (most of it). How about the Great Lakes areas - any great areas there? The Olympic Penninsula in Washington State (where I now live) is pretty good and some of the more interesting remote beaches on Indian Reservations are being opened to the public.

I've been up and down the Eastern Sierras a few times and have of course been to Yosemite quite a few times.

I've travelled to Mexico many times and my favorite place to photograph was San Miguel de Allende, but it's been over 10 years since I've been there. I would be open to RV travel in Mexico. I have driven many miles without incident there, including into very isolated backcountry areas.

I have gone north to Canada a few times but frankly don't like the country that much. It's a pretty country, but it's infested with Canadians who don't like Americans very much and like to rip them off.

I haven't done much photography in Europe and would like suggestions. I have to get to Tuscany before I die, that's for certain.

I shoot 8x10, 4x10, 5x7 all b&w. I'm just getting into Pyro\Azo\Amidol to see what the fuss is all about.

Thanks.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Mike!
    There are a lot of very nice dunes on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan (the Michigan side). Here in Wisconsin, there are not many dunes on the lake, but there are some nice barns & the cool sandstone formations of the Dells along the western part of the state.
    There are many waterfalls here & in the upper peninsula of Michigan (kind of like Washington without the mountains & ocean)!
    I'll bet if you check out various state's websites, you'll find some great stuff to plan your journey!
    Jeanette

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    there is a sand dune park at Monahans, Texas on I 20 out in west Texas. I have been to White Sands and there the mineral is Gypsum and is very white. Late in the day or first light. Isn't there a book you can subscribe to called something like "Photographing America." It has info on all the state and national parks and is published in CA. For the National Park Service ask for the "old farts pass" (age 65) costs $10 and is good for the rest of your life and anyone in the vehicle gets in free also. That would be my recommendation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, how's this. Let us know when you start this thing. Then I'll let you know where I happen to be at that time, and you can come pick me up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Spend a while in the South Island of New Zealand, you'll think you died and went to heaven

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Alaska....lived there for a while during the winter(longer than it sounds)and it was the most beautiful place i've every been.A good portion of the land in the state is govt. owned park land and there are only a few major roads.My sister is still there and I can get more Ideas from her but the coast alone is worth going there to see.Check out the areas around seward,Homer,Eagle river,yeah-Denali,Anchorage is okay to start but coming in from canada there are alot of old Russian areas and a great coastline along the southern areas next to Br.columbia.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The idea that immediately springs to my mind -- one that I'd love to do in somewhat less ambitious fashion (like for a couple of weeks each year) would be to retrace some classic journey, doing portraits of the people who live on that path. Route 66, or the route taken by the two main characters in Zen and the Art of Mororcycle Maintenance might be good. Maybe a better idea would be to stock up on contingency food, water & hygene materials and eschew any kind of map or GPS and just go where the wind or the need for gas takes you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I still like the idea of picking a mountain range and photographing it from one end to the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I'm not going to wait until I retire, but my working day as a professional lottery winner is very short--if the jackpot is large enough I really only have to work once But I have the same idea--I told Fugazi Dave he could come if he played nice.

I'm jealous because the odds are 1 in 48million that I'll get to do this in the next 40 years.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know...Jim Kirk jr's comments about Alaska made me think of something... If you want to take pictures of something that looks like a sand dune, there is nothing like a good 24"-36" base of snow. The only difference... snow sparkles like diamonds in the sunlight! So, maybe Minnesota, Wisconsin or Upper Michigan for your winter photos!
    Jeanette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin