Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,216   Online: 861

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Images
    Your best rental options are limited to the larger cities (especially San Fransisco). Within the park, The Ansel Adams Gallery rents some equipment, but is geared for enthusiasts and not on par with Zone VI monster pods. I believe they rent lighweight tripods for $7 per day (Goldcrest? brand). If you plan carefully, you could ship your tripod via FEDEX Express Saver (they only guarantee two-day delivery to the park anyway) or UPS which delivers to the Ansel Adams Gallery daily M-F, and then ship it back home when you are done. More expensive perhaps, but less of a hassle?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kswatapug
    If you plan carefully, you could ship your tripod via FEDEX Express Saver (they only guarantee two-day delivery to the park anyway) or UPS which delivers to the Ansel Adams Gallery daily M-F, and then ship it back home when you are done. More expensive perhaps, but less of a hassle?
    I had thought about shipping it ahead, but wasn't sure where to ship it to that would hold it for me. If the Adams Gallery accepts shipments like this I think this would be the way to go.

I am planning on shipping all of my exposed film back home via FedEX anyway.

Thanks!

Jim

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    I had thought about shipping it ahead, but wasn't sure where to ship it to that would hold it for me. If the Adams Gallery accepts shipments like this I think this would be the way to go.

I am planning on shipping all of my exposed film back home via FedEX anyway.

Thanks!

Jim
    You can give them a call and explain your situation (209)-372-4413 and see what they can do. If for some reason they won't take delivery (doubtful), then one of the hotels should be able to help out. The Gallery is a great place to start any photo trip to the park anyway. Good for inspiration and ideas. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful and the portfolios on the back counter will help you zero in subject matter.

Another couple of inspirational sources for visual ideas are two DVDs. The first is called "Spirit of Yosemite" and is shown in the Visitor Center next to the Gallery (and you can buy it from www.yosemite.org in advance of your visit) and "Watersongs" by Sterling Johnson, which I know is sold in all the park stores.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you ship your tripod, ask for Carolos Herrera. He is in charge of their workshops at the Ansel Adams gallery. If you rent, Adolph Gassers in San Francisco does rentals. They are not to far off the freeway (just a few blocks), and have actual free parking across the street. If it is over a weekend, they do not charge for Sat. and Sun.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Hello Jim,

I carry the Gitzo 1410 with me and it isn’t that bad depending on the hikes you want to take. As far as renting around this area there is nothing. There are a ton of 1-2 miles hikes you can take that will give you really breathtaking views and beautiful meadows.

Also you have to hit the glacier point area as well as Tioga pass. But you will have to leave the car to get the some of the views as they are hidden from the roadways.

Kev

Images

hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac

I've read about St. Ansel's platform before, but never seen a photo of it.

Cool

Jim

St. Ansel's Platform

Kinda gives new meaning to "woody" doesn't it?
    Do not question what you have not done, question what you will not try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin