Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,995   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Three Day Trip To Yosemite ~ Suggestions?

I am thinking very seriously about making a three day trip to do some photographing in Yosemite.

Fly out one day, photograph all day on day two and fly home on day three.

Any suggestions on the best spots to photograph at? Locations that I should Not miss?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't do it this time of year. You won't be able to get any decent shots without a herd of people in the way. Go in the late fall, or early spring. The light is better and no crowds. Kevin also lives near Yosemite and probably have a few favorite places to direct you too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Don't do it this time of year. You won't be able to get any decent shots without a herd of people in the way. Go in the late fall, or early spring. The light is better and no crowds. Kevin also lives near Yosemite and probably have a few favorite places to direct you too.

Thanks Aggie.

I was thinking late September, early October.

Jim

Images
    In my opinion, you'll be very sad after your one day of shooting. Try to spread it out at least for two full days of shooting.

On Day 1 take the valley floor tour. They stop at most of the hotspots. Take a small or medium format camera with you on the tour. Take mental notes of the places you'd like to return to.

I wouldn't worry about the people getting in the way. What I have done in the past is get up at the crack of dawn and start driving to the locations I want. Most tourists are still asleep.

Have fun, I'll be up that way at the end of August.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jim,
    October is a great time to go, one thing though, if you plan of shooting waterfalls, there are none in October, they are usually dry (or close to dry) by then. But the fall color is beautiful if you hit it right. Most of the vistas you recognize are right off the road so they are readily accessible. I have some shots I made last year on my website
    http://homepage.mac.com/fingel/PhotoAlbum3.html
    Most of those shots were within steps of the road.
    Have fun on your trip. Let us know how it goes.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Actually right now is the best time to go because all the tourist are at the valley floor area. I am up there at least 2 to 3 times a week and the place you want to hike is the glacier point area. Now not the tourist glacier point but the hikes around the area.

The traffic is low as most people do not want to hike more than a mile. Also hit Tioga pass. You can get some stellar images but you have to walk. This is the best time to go as 90% of the tourists head to the valley while the locals hit the high sierras and upper elevations.

Also do not forget the Sonora pass. Really beautiful and there are some really nice hikes along that route as well. You could take Sonora pass down to 395(I think that is it) then head over to mono lake and bodie then back through Tioga pass via Yosemite! It is beautiful.

Kev

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Of course, if your goal is to photograph the tourists.....

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Images
    Three days, two of which are travel , to photograph Yosemite in summer is a tough row to hoe.

If one is flying their own plane, can arrange for a car, and touch down at one of the small municipal airports just outside the park, it could be a productive trip. Otherwise, almost all your time will be spent getting there. It is two and a half hours from Fresno to Yosemite Valley in good traffic. About four from the Bay Area. In summer, the routes to and through the park (two-lane highways) are busy.

If one has the ability, the most preferable option would be to land in Lee Vining adjacent to beautiful Mono Lake, followed by Groveland (say hi to Kevin) or Mariposa. Mariposa is the least desirable only because I would favor working in the high country because the waterfalls are puny this time of year and the roads congested as folks make the loop in their cars looking for parking, lunch and scenery. Unless you are obsessed with the icons of Yosemite Valley, you are better off up high where the air is cooler, there are fewer folks, and spring is just peaking. Mind you, I am speaking from the perspective of a color enthusiast.

Mariposa is a one-hour drive from Yosemite Valley, but over two hours to Tuolumne Meadows. It takes a little less time to get to the high country from Groveland, and about fifteen minutes from Lee Vining.

With the right light, anything in the park can be spectacular any time of year. But the best light in Yosemite Valley is typically from October through March. There is more colorful light, lower angle and less intense. One can easily work all day. But the high country, which does not feature the concentrated beauty of Yosemite Valley, is stunning as well and not accessible by auto except from late June through October, typically.

The exposed granite, twisted junipers, sparkling lakes, meadows spilling over with wildflowers (and mosquitoes) are compelling subjects, many of which just mean stepping out of a car at a turnout. But three days? I lived in Yosemite Valley for fourteen years and it just whet my appetite.

Give yourself some time for a proper visit where you can truly soak it in. If you want some ideas, go to www.yosemite.org and pick up a copy of Michael Frye's photographers guide to Yosemite. He worked hard to map out the most popular photo spots. Excellent book. Should cost twice what it does.

As for crowds, it can be busy, with most of the people concentrated in the seven square miles of Yosemite Valley around the parking lots, restaurants and overnight accommodations. David Brower used to say, "The number of people one encounters in Yosemite is proportional to the square of the distance one is from a parking lot and the cube of the elevation one gains." In short, get out of your car and you'll have a much more pleasant experience, even if it is just for a day.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the great info. I still want to do this even though I wouldn't have a lot of time for the trip. I might be able to make it to a four day trip.

My wife even thinks this would be a fun. And if I take her with me I'll have someone to help carry my equipment

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Another question.

Does anyone know if there would be any place around the area where you could rent a tripod?

I'm not sure how I would be able to take my heavy Zone VI tripod with me.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin