Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,681   Online: 983

Thread: Going to France

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Going to France

I will be near Nice, France for about two weeks.

Is there anything that I must see and photograph?

Any other recommendations? (food, etc)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would recommend LES GORGES DU VERDON

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you are able to sneak up to les mille near aix en provence
    go to l'hotel arquier.
    the restaurant is amazing, its on a stream and they
    serve food caught out of it each night .
    we have stayed there alone and with our 1 year old ( she is almost 10 now )
    it was a great place to go.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-3783...rant_arquier-i

i also recommend les gorges ... there is an upper route through it
    and a lower route. the lower route is a lot of fun, but be advised
    sometimes you will be on the narrow road and a truck towing a giant boat
    will be on the road in the opposite direction, oh and i forgot a motor cyclist passing between
    the both of you

if you can try to get to les baux-au-provence
    or toutours, both offer beautiful sites and the food is delicious ( all of it !).

have a great trip david!
    john

ps in nice, go to the beach and have a tuna sandwich and a soft drink.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you are there in the next few weeks, the 41st festival in Arles starts on the 3rd July. It's not exactly local but I think there will be direct trains, probably a three hour journey, though hotels will be probably booked up for the first week. Sadly can't make it this year.
    http://www.rencontres-arles.com/A09/...MS&ID=A09P1274

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Take the train from Nice (Gare du Sud) to Annot, a little town where many of the ancient houses are built onto huge boulders. The train journey on the narrow-gauge Provence railway is spectacular. The line also passes Entrevaux, a fortified hill town. It's also worth getting the train east to Ventimiglia, just over the Itakian border. The town's not much to write home about but there's an amazing market on sunday mornings.

You should find plenty to satisfy your photographic urges!

Rob

Shooter
    35mm
    The town of Marseille has many photo opportunities and is a lovely city overall.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone.

I will be there in about two weeks and will be writing a show review for Fraction Magazine.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know how much spare time you'll have but some of the suggestions you've received are a long way from Nice and would not IMO be best photographed from there. This is particularly true in a part of the world where traffic congestion is the norm and in one of the busiest periods. Unless you're able to spend a few days away from Nice in western Provence, my suggestion is to stay closer, and I might argue much closer, to base.

You also need to know, if you don't already, that the entire coastline from Cannes to the Italian border is built up, and that access to the coastline is not ubiquitous, but there are access points where you can walk through to a coastal path. There are a lot more hazy days than there used to be, and if I got up one day and found the intense, saturated light that the Impressionists loved, I'd count myself fortunate and get moving fast. I'd consider the following, in the general context that the earlier in the day you get to the popular places the easier it'll be to park, get a cafe table, get photographs

* There's a railway line that runs from Nice east along the coast an which stops everywhere though the stations are usually a little way back from the coast itself. Its a good way of getting to Villefranche ( nice harbour, steeply stepped and arcaded streets) Beaulieu ( good walk along Cap Ferrat to St Jean and the Point de St-Hospice beyond) Cap d'Ail ( decent walk along the coast in either direction); Monte Carlo/Monaco; Menton (pleasant colourful town, nice harbour,good old town, some good Italianate churches and a great cemetary on top of the hill overlooking the harbour. You probably ought to see all of these if you haven't been to the area before.

* There are a number of villages not too far away that are probably best visited by car. They tend to be little old towns, quite well set up for tourism but atill have enough about them to make them interesting with the possibility of a bit of solitude once you get away from the main street/square. St Agnes and Gorbio, behind Menton; Roquebrune, behind Cap Martin; Peille/Peillon inlnad fron Monte Carlo. Sospel ansd Saorge , further north and less touristed. Tourettes sur Loup , west of Vence; Gourdon, NE of grasse; Biot , near Cagnes sur Mer. Auribeau, NW of Cannes; Cabris, west of Grasse. The villages of Eze( the hill village not the nondescript "sur Mer" on the coast and railway), and St Paul de Vence wouldn't make my list- not because they are unattractive but because they are overrun and over -adapted to tourism.

* The towns. These are IMO the most interesting/Scenic though I have to say that I haven't photographed much in any of them. Antibes; Vence; Nice around the area of the Old town/Flower Market and round the old harbour; Menton.

* Beaches; not generally sandy in this part of France. I always liked the Plage de la Garoupe, on Cap d'Antibes which was private, sandy, cleaned daily and had beach restaurants where you could get lunch. The view here is NE and you night see snow-covered Alps behind Nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    get a train! go to paris! go to pigalle! get a prostitute! get some pics!
    vive la resistance!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin