Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,825   Online: 847

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: churches

Shooter
    Multi Format

churches

There are some beautiful churches in Winnipeg (my home town) and I was wondering if anyone has any special advice or angles that I can use when taking a church's picture. Mostly, because they are big, I am taking bits and pieces of these buildings...which is okay also, but I would love to take the complete shot and make it WOW...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bits and pieces are fine.

There is no "trick" or special angle. Photographing a church is no different than photographing anything else. I have a few in my gallery, all different approaches, but that is by no means comprehensive (even for me). Just go and shoot and see what appeals to you.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...&cutoffdate=-1

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMary View Post
    ... I would love to take the complete shot ...
    Maybe a wide angle lens?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    What sort of camera do you use? Can you control perspective as with a view camera?

This is a very popular subject. Many have gone before you. Are you comfortable with that? If so you might want to look at the work of successful artist's before. Google Frederick Evans, considered by many the master.
    www.texaschurchproj.com
    “Post Your Churches” http://www.largeformatphotography.in...light=Churches

If not comfortable with that you might want to think about an aspect that might be more unique to you. For example I did a twenty image 8x10 negative/16x20 print series this year of “Churches in transition;” an 1860 church now used as a winery showing the grape vines and the building, Faith Gym a church converted to a workout facility where they use the good book, an old established downtown stone church hit by lightning-destroyed-a stone doorway with building stones pouring out the doorframe.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Get up high for a shot like this one

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... or go down low for a shot like this one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChurchNude.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't ignore the potential of colour and interiors - stained glass windows and older stone, brick, wood and decorations can have very interesting colour.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Excellent!

BTW, how do you display a photo that larger on this forum, mine are always small postage stamp size that can be "clicked" to make them larger?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    ... or go down low for a shot like this one:
    Each one has a cross to bare I guess.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format

omg

Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    that is an amazing picture...there is wow there!

beautiful...

I use 35mm, digital and have been learning how to use Rollei 2.8E. I have a roll of 120 bw film waiting ever so patiently waiting for me to develop...It's a series of outside pictures of an Orthodox Catholic church...I'll get this done, scan the negs and share...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Excellent!

BTW, how do you display a photo that larger on this forum, mine are always small postage stamp size that can be "clicked" to make them larger?

Curt
    Curt:

In order to get the nice big within-post images, they need to be hosted somewhere else on the internet. You then need to link to that off-site image.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin