Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,944   Online: 1013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Liquor Dome?
    Sunnyvale?

Shooter
    35mm
    You won't be able to sail on the Bluenose this year.
    http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1189547.html
    But, it seems as if much of the work will be done in public view, so you may be able to get some unique views of a ship being worked on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    We keep a good deal of fantastically wonderful scenery in reserve just so the English don't get to see it.
    That's o.k. We have some of our own!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.capebretonlive.com/

http://www.thedoryman.com/location.html

And you can always catch a nice sunrise on your way home from a dance or house party...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails from cardwell's farm.jpg  
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

The Red Shoe, a great pub in Mabou. http://www.redshoepub.com/

Check this: http://capebretonguide.com/

and: http://oran.ca/

There is a nightly ceilidh at St Michael's hall in Baddeck. Well worth a visit.

The thing about Cape Breton is that it is not Disneyland. You go there to meet folks,
    and slow down enough to see the rural beauty and share their island. Ask folks when you get there what to see, and how to get there.

We keep a good deal of fantastically wonderful scenery in reserve just so the English don't get to see it. Don't tell anybody, it's a wonderful joke.

Seriously, it isn't the Grand Canyon or the Alps. But a fellow Midwesterner would probably get it.

Never mind, I'm going to mention him to the Queen when we have tea this afternoon
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    Never mind, I'm going to mention him to the Queen when we have tea this afternoon
    That's cool, Mark.

Taking her to Tim's ???

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

That's cool, Mark.

Taking her to Tim's ???

Finbars
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have to agree with those who gave Cape Breton Island an "okay but not great". Halifax is a very nice town. you can catch the free bus along the waterfront and get a mini tour of the city. If you have the chance to head toward New Brunswick the tidal exchange at Hopewell Cape should not be missed -- it can be over forty feet. Plan for both high and low tides with excellent photographic opportunities. There is a small college in the Sackville - Amherst area that has an excellent arts program that is headed by a very fine photographer. The name escapes me but I have it recorded at home. Probably some internet searching will tell you. Further south is Saint John and St. Andrews where I found better photography than Cape Breton.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To followup on my post above. It is Mount Allison University in Sackville and the professor is Thaddeus Holowina.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For the record, Robert Frank lives in Cape Breton.

People who say Cape Breton is so-so photographically, I think are speaking one sort of language, which is the language of perfect vistas and Ansel Adams type pictures. I think Cape Breton definitely offers that, but mostly I think what it offers is an entire world that's different from the ones most of us live with, with different traditions, problems and hopes. I guess I find it really problematic to dismiss a place photographically based on the lack of scenic overlooks. Particularly when that place has spectacular scenic overlooks.

Or in the words of Alexander Graham Bell
    "I have travelled the globe. I have seen the Canadian and American Rockies, the Andes and the Alps and the highlands of Scotland, but for simple beauty, Cape Breton outrivals them all."

paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin