Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,018   Online: 855

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

NOVA Scotia Bound

All

I'm travelling to Nova Scotia including Cape Breton for a few weeks. Plan to see the Sherman Hines Museum Of Photography in Liverpool while on this trip.

Any recommendations on locations that are a "MUST" see. I'll have plenty of time along the coast line - north and south to do exploring.

Thanks!

Bruce

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Please make time to see the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton - an absolute delight!

Shooter
    35mm
    Gary

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll have about 4 days in the Cabot Trail area. Going to both east and west coast. Plan to spend some time at Cheticamp, Meat Cove, Cabot's Landing, Ingonish and other places. Looking forward to this area it based on what I have heard and read.

Bruce

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are interested in culture and music at all, you should definitely check out a dance in Cape Breton. Mabou on Saturday night is a famous one with a lot of locals, there's one in East Margaree (I think so anyway) at the Fire Hall, not sure what night it is but it's also really popular.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmcevoy/2656156132/
    That's in West Mabou, for the record.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmce...th/2656156132/
    Pictures from my last trip to the Maritimes, if you are interested.
    paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please let us know your own thoughts when you get back. I have to attend meetings in mid-June 2011 in Halifax and I plan to spend a couple of weeks there right after the meetings are over.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Check out a trail on the Ingonish side of Cape Breton Highlands Park called Franey Mountain. From the top you have a great view of the ocean and the surrounding hills.

If you go east of Halifax you can find some beautiful beaches (Martinique and Taylor Head). West of Halifax on the South Shore are some picturesque small towns like Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, and Chester. If the Bluenose II is in port in Lunenburg you can take a cruise (you can really move if there is any sort of wind!)

The Annapolis Valley is also pretty special. It's very lush agricultural land. If you go a ways north of Wolfville there is a hike out at the coast that takes you out to a place called Cape Split. The hike is mostly through woods, however the end of the cape is impressive with tall cliffs that you can walk out a ways on. The ocean is always tumultuous there because the tides are so large, but if the weather is nice the view is impressive.

Paul
    P. Thornton
    Dalchemist
    Halifax NS

Shooter
    35mm
    All

Thanks for the recommendations. We do plan on check out the music scene in Mabou and the surronding area.

Jim - I'll let you know how we like Halifax as well as other places to see.

Paul- I see your in Halifax. What is your favorite local site? We are going to many of the locations you mentioned including Wolfville so I 'll check out the trails/beaches you mentioned.

All- Thanks for the info.

Bruce

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've spent a month, in two tranches, photographing in Nova Scotia. My views don't seem to coincide with others here.

First the area I enjoyed best photographically and otherwise is the coast south and west of Halifax. Particularly Prospect, Terence Bay, the Aspotogan peninsula, Mahone Bay, and the Blue Rocks/ Stonehurst area near Lunenburg. Within this I also like Peggy's Cove and the villages around, despite the fact that Peggy's is overrun. If you can get there at dawn ( I stayed in Peggy's only b&b with a balcony overlooking the harbour) you can get a lot done before the hordes arrive, go elsewhere for the day and get back at dusk when It quietens down. All told I think that rather more than half of the usable photographs I have from Nova Scotia emanate from this area, which is directly en route to Liverpool. The area round Shelburne, west of Liverpool is pretty good too.

I also quite like the area from Digby to Wolfville, which includes the Annapolis Valley and the Blomidon peninsula.

Now, Cape Breton. I'm not a huge fan i'm afraid and the only time I enjoyed it was travelling along the eastern side at peak fall colour in mid October, despite the fact that much of the accommodation and eaeries were closing up around us. Basically I just don't think there's enough opportunity to get close to the sea and the landscapes seem bland to me. Certainly if you've been to truly spectacular coastlines like western Scotland, Western Ireland, Oregon, I don't think you'll like Cape Breton as much unless you happen to be there in October. Clearly not everyone shares that view, so maybe taking a look on Flickr might make some sense, as i do before every tripto a new destination. I do like the Margaree valley and the Bras d'Or Lake round Baddeck much more.

Finally Halifax. Its a perfectly decent sort of place, but for me not photogenic or particularly characterful. It's close to a lot of nice places though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just two small suggestions about Nova Scotia: Take your time and stay off the highways- they are deathly boring, while the back roads and villages are wonderful! Have fun. The places mentioned are all worth a week at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Red Shoe, a great pub in Mabou. http://www.redshoepub.com/

Check this: http://capebretonguide.com/

and: http://oran.ca/

There is a nightly ceilidh at St Michael's hall in Baddeck. Well worth a visit.

The thing about Cape Breton is that it is not Disneyland. You go there to meet folks,
    and slow down enough to see the rural beauty and share their island. Ask folks when you get there what to see, and how to get there.

We keep a good deal of fantastically wonderful scenery in reserve just so the English don't get to see it. Don't tell anybody, it's a wonderful joke.

Seriously, it isn't the Grand Canyon or the Alps. But a fellow Midwesterner would probably get it.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin