Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,858   Online: 860

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Street Photography in LA

All

I'll be visiting LA in a few weeks and I'm looking for advice as to an interesting location to do some street shooting. Looking for something other than the ordinary (Farmer's Market, Hollywood Blvd). The time of day would be either dinnertime or early in the morning (breakfast time). Any advice would be appreciated. I'll have a car, so I can go anywhere, really.
    Last edited by white.elephant; 07-09-2010 at 03:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Title seemed to rub people the wrong way, sorry
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perhaps the term "street shooting" may connote something else to LA-dwellers...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Other than Hollywood, not much interesting in L.A. for street shooting if you are looking for people. You may want to drive to Santa Monica and check out the 3rd Street Promenade. Terrific people watching there. Try to go there on a weekend day. Old Pasadena is also pretty good.

If you know the famed Farmer's Market, trust you've been to The Grove. Always jammed with people.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm a native Angeleno. Some places to check out that I've found interesting and worth shooting include Downtown-Broadway is a good starting point. If you wander around there is a lot to be seen, Chinatown can be a hit or miss, Los Feliz is fun. The Santa Monica Pier has been good to me in the past, try it out.

Never been to Old Pasadena enough to give a verdict, but have heard positive things about it.

Can't think of anything else at the moment L.A. is surprisingly bland sometimes.

-Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out the beach walkway along the shops in Venice. I agree the title for this thread is not the best choice of words. :o

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, I know the Promenade, I know the Grove. I figured if I carried a camera around in the Grove and kept 'capturing' people sooner or later I'd get strong-armed by some celeb's security goon. I had forgotten Old Pasadena, that's a good suggestion, as is Venice Beach.
    Chris Klug
    -----------

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd climb Mt. Wilson if I was in Pasadena. But not much "street shooting" up there. The mountain biking, on the other hand... (man I wish I was still in SoCal sometimes.)

Shooter
    35mm
    I dont know if these are too "ordinary", but some good things to check out in Downtown LA would be Angels Flight, which was just re-opened and can be ridden now. Next to Angels Flight is a small park with the "famous" bench from the movie "500 Days of Summer" (a viral facebook profile picture spot), and across the street from Angels Flight is the Central Market. There is also the new "magnet" high school near the 101, which has got some interesting artechiture to it. Of course the Disney Conert Hall. There is also LA Live at the Staples Center. One thing to keep in mind, most things will probably be closed, and the place pretty dead come dinner time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Check out the beach walkway along the shops in Venice. I agree the title for this thread is not the best choice of words. :o

Steve
    Good call on Venice, lots of interesting characters around there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by stewmander View Post
    . . .Of course the Disney Conert Hall . . .
    Wow, forgot all about that, and I will be staying nearby. Hmm, thanks.
    Chris Klug
    -----------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin