Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,592   Online: 1288

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Planning possible vaca to Manistique (UP), MI in 2011. Suggestions?

Well, I have been toying with the idear of hauling the family from little old Delaware to Manistique (the area anyway) in late July/ early August next year. I haven't been there since I was a child in 73 or so when my grandparents took myself (3 yrs old) and my infant brother. All I remember is cool water and sitting on Paul Bunyan's lap in Frankenmuth.

So, I have done some preliminary research. This is the limit for a two day drive for me. It might have to be doled out into three due to Faith, my wife, having fibro and psyatic issues. Sitting for long ain't the greatest.

So, I will have an almost eighteen year old son, an almost 15 year old daughter and my beautiful wife. And a 4x5. Thinking on maybe staying near Indian Lake. What's there to do? Must be family oriented. I can't drag them 992 (according to Google) miles and strand them as I trapse all over the place with a big camera. But I'm bringing it anyway.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Fayette State Park is near Manistique and is interesting from a historical/tourist point of view. And if you are coming all this way you should visit the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore between Munising and Grand Marais, which are both nice little towns to visit as well. There are a number of very nice waterfalls in the Munising area, including Munising, Wagner, Miner's and Sable Falls. The Seney National Wildlife Refuge is pretty interesting; there is a nature trail that you can drive through the refuge to see the various flora and fauna. The Lake Michigan beaches along US 2 as you head towards St. Ignace. Mackinac Island is the usual tourist destination. All of these places are worth the visit from a tourist perspective, but all provide nice photographic opportunities as well.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, I would love to visit Pictured Rocks. And the light in Manistique would be a favorite as well. Perhaps over photographed but not by me.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin