Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,815   Posts: 1,581,621   Online: 777

Thread: Mainz, Germany

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mainz, Germany

I will be in Europe this summer for 33 days ( soooooooo excited ). This is my first time so it will all be new and exciting. I have my dream list of all the places I hope to have time to visit but one stop, in Mainz, has me stumped. Could anyone suggest a great place to shoot, eat or drink (actually, all three would be great!)? I will be there on a Sunday afternoon through Monday morning. I know that isn't much time so I want to make the most of it.

Thanks, Tori

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Tori,
    There is a great park at the confluence of the Rhine and Main rivers, across from the city of Mainz. I drove through there in 1984 on a 2000 mile, 17 day road trip. The whole country is a photographer's paradise. Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Wade! I have to say, I think it's pretty ironic that it takes a fellow San Diegan to tell me what there is to see in a German city. Apparently there are no APUG member photographers in Mainz, or they are all just very shy and quiet.
    :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess, the 33 days are not long enough to visit all the nice historical things in the Mainz area. Enjoy also the good wine and food. Make also a Rhine-River tour and don't be shy and get in touch with the German people. Many of the younger people speaking your language. Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tori, I have been to Mainz a couple of times, I also thought some German members may pipe up, perhaps they are all on holidays and/or struggling with the heat in the top half of the world, whilst we freeze in the bottom half down here.

I second what wade has mentioned about the park, nice place to chill out.

One visit we had when my wife was a girlfriend and school teacher in Germany, was a trip there to see some Roman ruins, including some stones, a gate and whatnot, could be worth something if they are near where you may be.

I saw the Roman ruins in 1985, but I doubt they will have changed much in the intervening years.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mick! I'll look that up on line to figure out where it is and how I can get to it. I will make sure I get to the park that both you and Wade have mentioned, I think I'll have plenty of time for that. I just know I'm going to wish I could have brought the 8x10 with me! Oh well....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin