Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,635   Online: 667

Shooter
    35mm

Scotsdale Arizona?

I'll be flown out to Arizona for a couple days orientation early in August. Probably won't be able to do any shooting except after 5pm or so. Are there any local sights worth visiting? Is it too far to reasonably think of doing a run up to the grand canyon?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you start exactly at 5 you probably can reach GC just before dark. I never done that but I would imagine it will be an awesome moment.
    However, you definitely can reach Sedona which many considered to be the most beautiful place in AZ.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    McDowell Park

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.243073&z=12

Well worth the time.

Fred from the View Camera Store is up that was as well. Give him a holler.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    You mean the town of Sedona? If that's Red Rock State Park it's only open until 5pm, according to the Arizona parks website.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are looking for familiar landmarks to photograph, the Grand Canyon is definitely worth it, (a bit of a stretch to get there) as is Sedona, as mentioned. You could also add Camelback Mountain to that list. Don't overlook the beautiful desert landscapes that can be found within a few minutes from the city. These can be as intimate or vast as you wish, and are certainly worth the film you will be shooting. Sunrise and sunsets are breathtaking. Enjoy. Shoot film.
    Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Take a lot of water if your headed off the road.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    You mean the town of Sedona? If that's Red Rock State Park it's only open until 5pm, according to the Arizona parks website.
    Yes the town of Sedona. Excuse my previous statement I think it's hard to reach GC before dark. Anwyay there are so many things to shoot at Sedona but you probably right that Red Rock is closed by 5PM.
    You might want to check Rock Slide Park (928-282-3034) but be warned that this place is always packed on summer. I was there last month and tons of cars were parked along the road.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Wolfeye

As Robert Hall mentioned I live in Scottsdale and it's only about 106 degrees today. If you are going to be out in the sun you better get heavy duty sun tan lotion - I see a lot of visitors with really bad sunburns. You might check out the Phoenix Art Museum - they usually have a good photography exhibit that comes from the Center for Creative Photography. Another great place to visit in Tucson is the Center for Creative Photography - about a 2 hour drive from Scottsdale.
    You have to go north to get a little relief from the heat and even Sedona is mid 80's to mid 90's, that's why I mentioned those two places.

Fred Newman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Wolfeye

I forgot about the Desert Botanical Gardens (dbg.org) in Phoenix. The open at 7:00AM for the summer and had a major Chihuly exhibit last year.

Fred Newman

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin