Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,518   Online: 775

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Graveyards

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The oldest cemetary in England (as opposed to graveyard) is The Rosary in Norwich. I did a project there. The pictures are on my site here. http://www.darkplanet.co.uk/rosary.htm
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [not being from the UK and that] I apologise for butting in.
    may I respectfully suggest you put Ireland on your list, the rates on the ferries are quite reasonable. We have "old disused cemetaries, the more overgrown the better" in absolute abundance.

Shooter
    35mm

Old Graveyards

Adrian

Although I cannot direct you to a good graveyard, I thought I might share my experience. Jesmond cemetery in Newcastle was an absolutely delightful old Victorian burial ground. Very large, with many of the tombstones hidden under deep undergrowth. I spent many happy hours wandering around during my lunch hour and there was a fair amount of wildlife as well. Just when I was beginning to feel that I had the makings of an interesting portfolio the city council cut back most of the foliage and literally put red tape around all of the tombstones and 'keep to the path' notices everywhere. It is now quite difficult to photograph. I suppose that the tombstones were a health and safety hazard. My pictures are now a historic record of how it used to be and I will try and post them when I get the hang of how to do it.

Les Dix
    Ryton

Shooter
    35mm
    My enduring memory of Aberdeen in Scotland, admittedly from the 60's, is of passing huge cemetories when entering the City. Also there was one in the town centre where office workers & shoppers used to sit on memorial slabs and the like to eat their lunchtime sandwiches. It was something I could never get my head round and perhaps explains why I have never been back. Perhaps I am doing them a grave injustice?

The trouble with lots of graveyards is that due to space running out they have re-used. So I think you will find that those in small towns and rural areas are more likely to still have old tombstones etc. Worth wandering round areas like the Cotswolds for example. Best of luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Here are some awful cliches I took in County Cavan.
    Doesn't look anything like a cliche' to me. I like it.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Ah, Whitby. The home of my dear friend Alucard.

Helen
    Helen,

Wasn't he related to Doctor Acula?

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    [not being from the UK and that] I apologise for butting in.
    may I respectfully suggest you put Ireland on your list, the rates on the ferries are quite reasonable. We have "old disused cemetaries, the more overgrown the better" in absolute abundance.
    and some decent ruined churches too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Round Tower and Crosses  Mono.jpg  
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You could also try the Bunhill Fields burial ground in London (off Old Street in the City). It is now some years since I have been there, so it may have changed. It was a non-conformist burial ground, and some of the people buried there are of interest (at least to me); John Owen, vice chancellor of Oxford, and the man who preached before Parliament on the day after Charles 1 execution; Joseph Priestley, the discovered of oxygen (no comments that people had been breathing it for years before him), Daniel Defoe etc, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin