Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,976   Online: 929

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Graveyards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old Graveyards

This is one for our UK members.

I enjoy wandering about old graveyards looking for photo opportunities and would welcome any suggested locations. I have already been to Warristion and Newington Cemetaries in Edinburgh and intend to schedule a visit to the Necropolis in Glasgow. I have heard about a large old cemetary in Liverpool (St Johns I think) but can't find any references about it on the net.

My tastes run to old disused cemetaries, the more overgrown the better. I am quite prepared to travel nationwide.

Actually there are a couple of interesting cemetaries in Paris that I hope to visit sometimes.

Thanks

Adrian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry I can't help - I'm only interested in fresh graves.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's an old overgrown cemetery in a village near Whitley Bay in the North East of England. Let me know if you are interested and tell me a little more about what you are looking for and I'll check it out when I'm next on Tyneside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    xxxxxx
    Last edited by clogz; 07-27-2004 at 08:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss
    This is one for our UK members.

I enjoy wandering about old graveyards looking for photo opportunities and would welcome any suggested locations. I have already been to Warristion and Newington Cemetaries in Edinburgh and intend to schedule a visit to the Necropolis in Glasgow. I have heard about a large old cemetary in Liverpool (St Johns I think) but can't find any references about it on the net.

My tastes run to old disused cemetaries, the more overgrown the better. I am quite prepared to travel nationwide.

Actually there are a couple of interesting cemetaries in Paris that I hope to visit sometimes.

Thanks

Adrian
    I'm not sure that Whitby Abbey and Churchyard count as disused, and you have to be careful not fall down the tripod holes, but the attached holiday snaps may be of interest. Then again you have almost certainly already been there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whitby_graves_IRsm.jpg   Whitby_Abbey_snap.jpg  
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Les

Thanks for the offer. Its a little difficult to describe but I have always been facinated by mans grand monuments that through neglect are gradually overtaken by nature. In Warriston cemetary there are some lovely little gravestones that over the years have been cloaked in ivy. I saw a very moving stone of Christ on the cross in white marble where ivy had started to embrace him by growing up his legs and torso. Unfortunately I never did get an opportunity to photograph it and damn me I've forgotten where I saw it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave

I have been to Whitby once but surprisingly did not go to the Abbey. Ah well, I suppose it will be around for a wee while yet and can rectifiy that little mistake.

Good images by the way.

Adrian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, Whitby. The home of my dear friend Alucard.

If you want the real thing you could go to Eire - only a hop, skip and jump from Wigan. There are overgrown graveyards all over the place. Here are some awful cliches I took in County Cavan.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Ah, Whitby. The home of my dear friend Alucard.
    Fang just ain’t what they used to be though, since they cut the grass!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just went to Highgate Cemetery in London a few weekends ago. Here is the link to my Highgate photos - more to come when I get another roll of film developed.
    http://www.artemisworks.plus.com/hg/index.htm

Definitely a place for necrophiliac photographers to hang out....

Jin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin