Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,702   Online: 1066

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Once again: A Call For Beijingers!

So, I'm beginning to give up hope that there are any other Beijing-based analogue photographers who frequent this site. I'll continue to ask from time to time until I find someone but it's not looking too good - if you live in Beijing please respond and keep me from sinking into an isolated depression

So, a short bit about me: I'm originally from Ontario, Canada and came out here to China about two and a half months ago. I'm in the process of getting myself settled including my work visa and whatnot (I teach art and English here) and am hoping I can connect with some people who are avid analogue addicts like myself. Perhaps we could go out to the massive Wukesong camera market sometime...or take a trip to the great wall (I still haven't been...waiting for the cooler weather.) Anyhow if you're out there please let me know - I promise I'm friendly and not usually this desperate.

And to all a good night...
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    James
    I'm coming to Beijing for a visit in October. There's even a fellow Canuck I know who just moved back there...I'm hoping the 3 of us can meet up and DEFINITELY go to Wukesong (I need to get as much Era B&W paper as I can cart back home) as well as do some shooting around the city. I had really good luck just wandering the hutongs (you want to be careful not to shoot the demolition too much, especially as a westerner as it's perceived that you're attacking China by doing so, somehow).

I went to the Wall near Mutianyu last year in August...trust me, you don't want to do that in hot weather. I felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest!

Anyway, let me know as I'm a die-hard film fan and would love to meet up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brilliant! Let me know when you'll be in town and I'll PM or email you my phone number here. I'm currently working as an English tutor to make some cash for some new equipment - hopefully I'll have some full pockets by the time you arrive as I'm really missing photography right now and am desperate to get back into it.

The long-term plan is to work constantly (I'm at 7 days/week now...just trying to make it at least 6 hours/day) and once I'm properly settled I'm going to piece together a new darkroom here and begin a new portfolio...it would be great to work in this country doing photography but I'll play that one by ear.

Hope we can meet up and if there's anything you want me to look into over here I'll do whatever research I can in the meantime.

Adios!
    ...that's a good demonstration of the extent of my Chinese
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    James,

I'm not in Beijing (or China either) and my plans for visiting this summer got scuttled, but I still do hope to make it within the next year -- I'll definitely let you know, if you're still around. It would be nice to meet another apugger! Even here in Japan I am a lonely film user who gets stared at in confusion by both the locals and gaijin alike. That being said, there's a tiny camera store two blocks away from me that will process my slide film, any size, in about an hour! Who knew? I can't even get that in Toronto or Vancouver!

Good luck with your darkroom...something I'm also keen to put together here in Japan, although it's not easy to find an enlarger that won't break the bank!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey James
    Looks like I have my flight info confirmed...will send you a PM.

It'll be a short short visit but I'm hoping for at least a day spent on Film Film Film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film Film Film sounds great. But I hope you have a little room left over for Beer Beer. It's cheap and it's not particularly good but it's cheap.

Sincerely,
    Department of redundancy department.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah yes...pijou. As Laoshi Homer Simpson once said, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin