Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,367   Online: 977

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Going to Kona, Hawaii

My wife and I are heading to the Big Island for a week in October. We're looking to check out the volcano and the beaches of course. Looking for other out of the way suggestions?

Thanks,
    Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the drive through Waimea Valley is beautiful.Been 40 years since Ive been there,but that is one of the places I remember that I liked, there are other places too but can't recall.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mauna Kea summit and visitor's center. Drive the saddle road at night, it's beautiful and they have free astronomical program. Snorkeling at the Captain Cook monument.

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The waterfall just outside Hilo. The Japanese Gardens on Banyan Drive. And Le Magic Pan, a nice little French creperie one street off the main street in Hilo. No corking charge so bring your own wine.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another place that I remember is Church Row,that's what my friend called it .A deserted town of sorts with very old buildings.Must be in Waimea Valley.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Big Island has a ton of things to see. The Hilo side is very wet and rainforest like, while the volcano and Kona side is VERY desert like. I stayed at a B&B right in the town of Volcano so had a ton of time to hike around. The chain of craters road has changed each time I went there where fresh lava flows reclaim more stretches of it. I have not checked recently, but if you are fit enough, you can hike out to active lava if its running good. You will need plenty of water and a couple of flashlights.

Other areas around there are the Thurston Lava Tube, Volcano House... (get a bite to eat and sit at the top and overlook the Kilauea crater. If you are dressed for it you can go stargazing at Mauna Loa observatory... Pretty cold up there at night!! Overall, the drive around the main Kilauea caldera is worth it. Stop and look at Halema'uma'u crater as well. It's a crater within a crater!! Take PLENTY of FILM!
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Unfortunately, we're only going for a week and it already feels like we won't have enough time.

Thanks again,
    Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Craig, would love to hear about your trip and photo experiences, I am going for a week also but not until around November of next year.
    Shannon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin