Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,810   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

KS State Fair with a Rolleicord and a pocket full of Tri-X

I'm venturing out to Hutchinson, KS later this week to spend a couple days at the Kansas State Fair. It's my first visit out there.. any tips from experienced fairgoers? There's a lot to see and I'm a little overwhelmed! I'm sure there will be plenty to put in front of my lens

Thanks!
    Chris
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Some color negative film for the lights at night. Just a roll or two to quickly run through the camera near all the rides and neon.

Hold the camera upside down over your head to photograph over crowds.

Photograph some people holding their prize rabbit, chicken, or whatever -- get close.

If your camera has a neck strap, have someone -- at least once a roll -- take your picture (you focus and set exposure). You might have enough people asking you if that is a Hassleblad that you can say. "No, it is a Rolleiflex, it is just as good, if not better. Would you like to take my picture?"

Have a bunch of fun!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Go to some of the animal judging, especially small animal judging. Mid-day light is really harsh (lots of white painted objects) if it is sunny. Consider a monopod or beanbag for inside the barns. Stick around for the twilight time and go to the midway and rides. Try to shoot wide open when you can to minimize back ground clutter. aI started a series on county fairs (yet to be finished) so I've done a few. Personally, I preferred a fast 50 and 85 in 35mm, but the Rolleicord should be a lot of fun there too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't been to Hutch and the state fair in nearly 40 years, wish I was going too.

Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been thinking about going to the Va. state fair in about a week or two. I would consider besides Tri-X maybe some color. I'm going to bring my 35mm because it is lighter to carry around.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get bored come over to Winfield, KS for the Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival!

Watch out for "lowest common denominators".... they might thing you're trying to steal their souls with "that there jewel box".
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Chris,

I'm an old Hutchinson guy and Fair-goer. The most interesting area is the Midway where all the carnival rides and games are. Yeah, it can be pretty overwhelming. Wonder about the midway and you'll find plenty of opportunities.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips, guys! I can count on one hand the number of color rolls I've shot in the last five or six years :-) The Midway area is where the carnival rides and games are, right? I'm hoping for a slight aire of controlled chaos like in those small town carnivals.

That Bluegrass Festival sounds pretty fun! Sunday is our "to be determined" day, so that could be a contender. I've also heard the Salina Zoo is pretty good (especially with a 2 year old in tow.) Has anyone been there?

Of course the beautiful fall weather we've had is going away in exchange for lower 90's Fri-Sun.. just my luck!
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like using TriX at fairs, relax and have fun. Plenty of stuff to capture.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greetings from Hutchinson, KS!

Update so far.. 8 rolls of Tri-X shot, 1 roll of Acros 100. I've never ever had so many comments and conversations about my camera as I have this weekend with the Rolleicord; everyone from old guys to cute women to teenagers. It even scored us a couple free gate tickets for the fair :-)

There's been a wealth of things to shoot. I just hope I didn't miss a lot of shots due to poor focus. The past few years I've been used to rangefinders or tripod mounted cameras, so this has been a different experience. I'm not overly concerned, though. It's been a blast to shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin