Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,180   Online: 880

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Images

Where have you left your heart?

I am sitting at the computer. The freedom of a teacher's summer ends and I find myself realizing that I will not be able to just head for the mountains of Southwest Colorado at the drop of a hat. It will be two months before I get the chance to drive the dusty mine and forest routes up from the desert through the pines, the aspins and ultimately to tree line.

Adams had Yosemite. For me it is tree line. There is something about the almost instant transition between lush alpine environment to lunar green specked landscape. My earliest memory is at tree line. Unfortunately I have not been able to capture my feelings at this altitude on film. Most of the time I find myself sitting on a rock watching the world and the clouds forgetting to even set the tripod up.

I was wondering if there were others who had this type of attachment to a place and where that place might be.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of my best photographic experiences were back in the late 70's/early 80's when I lived in, what was then, West Berlin. I'm normally not much of a city person, but pre-fall of the wall Berlin was an exciting place. I hope to go back someday, and though I know a lot has changed, I'm sure it will feel like home.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with jdef, my heart is also at sea. Living on the relatively small islands of the UK we are never far from the sea, in my lifetime I've never lived more than 30 minutes from the sea. I love the North Sea just 20 minutes from home in the borders of England and Scotland but my absolute favourite place is Durness on the far north coast of Scotland. I'm always amazed when I watch the sea, it's power can move huge house sized rocks and the following day it can drop a tiny stone no bigger than a finger nail on the top of a small rock in the sand. Even in it's most agressive and destructive mood it is to me quite elegant and a thing of great beauty.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Adirondack mountains do it for me. The views are breath taking and the isolation is just the thing for an intovert such as myself.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For me there is only one place,Alaska.Beautiful mountains,marvellous coastlines and of course the vast array of wildlife.All I had to do was point the jeep in any direction and go...eventually I would stop somewhere, walk around and be in awe,sometimes not another person could be seen for miles upon end.Pennsylvania is nice too don't get me wrong,but I believe my soul resides several thousand miles away...
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't "left" it - I live here!

No place better than Western Norway.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me it is the path less traveled..mostly 4 corners region of the US. There is a feeling of coming home every time I go there, Santa Fe used to be like that, before all those people showed up. There's nothing like driving a back road, not knowing what is around the next turn, or down some road to make me want to find out, put the brakes on in a cloud of dust and get the cameras out...

Off topic, has anyone else ever noticed that most of the old churches seem to have a church dog? I swear, every one I've been to, we have been greeted by some dog - they just hang around and watch me until they get bored or I finish. Wish they could tell me all the story's they know.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, Mike, I hope I don't incur the wrath of anyone here, but... have you ever noticed that 'dog' reversed is 'god'??? It's a possibility!

As to where my heart lies (in my chest, with a cute little 'retaining wall' in it)... well, I guess I've found beauty in most everywhere I've been.
    Wisconsin & Michigan have 4 seasons & every one of them has something beautiful to see. I love Colorado and Montery & SF & Washington state & the eastern seaboard & the beautiful island of Hawaii. I've never been to the desert and would like to go if someone could PLEASE just clear out the snakes for me! I want to see Alaska & especially the glaciers!
    I'd like to go to Europe... to Romania to see where my Grandma lived & to England & Scotland to see my other 'roots'. I have a niece in Australia & it would be great to see her & go there.
    But for now, I'd just like to see more of the US. My dream is to fill an RV with film & go all over the US! So I guess my heart is wherever I am!
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Backroads, especially thru farm country. In the US, rural life is being deserted for better opportunities in the cities/suburbs. As a history buff, its like documenting the quickly receding past.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some years ago, my son and I were traveling between Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. We parked at a bend in the road where there was a gorgeous view of the Tetons and I got out the tripod and camera. At that moment, a modestly sized camper/RV parked beside us and we started a friendly conversation with the couple who emerged from the vehicle. The guy had just retired from a mostly industrial photography business and was now on the road with his wife and a very comprehensive kit of Hasselblad equipment stopping where and when they chose to. It was thrilling to me...such glorious independence...just aim the truck where the spirit directs you, and go there. I'm not anxious to be as old as I'll need to be to retire, but I sure am not concerned about boredom when I get there! I've found at least one model for the way to go where my wife's and my hearts lead us.
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin