Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,573,000   Online: 846

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was Red White and Blues when I was there. It is on the West side of town. Other than that I have no address, and I let others drive in that crazy mess of traffic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must be the fortunate one I shoot in and around the DC area all the time not one encounter with enforcement types. And yes it is Red Hot and Blue. But if you wonder the a suburb called Anandale( about five miles out) there is a place called Ribsters blows Red Hot and Blue away! For ribs anyway.
    I didn't realize how many "Beltway" folks were in here. We should all get together for a beer at Whitlows sometime!
    What!? Behind the rabbit?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Speaking of ribs, in Annapolis, there is "Adams Ribs" in East Port - a portion of Annapolis across Spa Creek - which has the best ribs I've encountered anywhere including some infamous places in Texas and AZ (pardon please), but no live music. If you need a guide-....
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I spend alternating Thanksgiving/Christmas's at my girlfriend's parent's home in the DC area, and I love to shoot there. I always end up on the Mall. I love the sculpure gardens, and if you want great views take the elevator to the roof of the Old Post Office (bring a polarizing filter). It will be windy and VERY COLD up there so a windbreaker is a must.
    I have never had a single problem with the LAW, no matter what camera I am shooting. My only suggestion is if you are shooting an old wooden LF, be prepared to answer many questions, not from the police, but many interested by standers. If you are going to the Mall at Thanksgiving or Xmas, remember that everyone who lives in northern Virginia has family home for the holidays, and they WILL go to the Mall, take your patience, and plenty of photos.
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Images
    Good Afternoon,

Is it accurate to say that a permit is required for tripod use in the mall area in DC? I seem to recall that it once was, although there was no charge to get it.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical
    Good Afternoon,

Is it accurate to say that a permit is required for tripod use in the mall area in DC? I seem to recall that it once was, although there was no charge to get it.

Konical
    Yes, quite accurate. I was told this by a park ranger at the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial.

However, if you go to the Interior Department's website and inquire as to the procedure for actually obtaining one, you'll come away totally bewildered with no useful information whatsoever. Apparently every National Park or US Historical Site has different requirements, permits and fee schedules.

So I've just given up. I only use a handheld camera unless it's a site (like the C&O National Historical Park or Glen Echo Park) where I know that the Park Police will continue to let me work on just my word that I'm not a commercial photographer.

The Department of Agriculture, which administers the National Forests and the National Arboretum is, in my opinion, completely hopeless. Don't even think about setting up a tripod on one of their properties.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Walter Lyon
    I didn't realize how many "Beltway" folks were in here. We should all get together for a beer at Whitlows sometime!
    Any time. 301-758-6418. What the hell is "Whitlows", anyway?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Any time. 301-758-6418. What the hell is "Whitlows", anyway?

Never Mind.

Maybe a little rowdy for my taste, but I'm game. I can think of a lot of good places in this area, too. (Maryland suburbs. The Annapolis area is even better.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Baltimore is also represented here- I can say with certainty you would have less trouble with "Homeland security" type issues here, and more interesting local character than DC, which I find a bit boring photographically-

Ribs? The Corner Stable on York Road, but you should really get crabs while you are here...

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Department of Agriculture, which administers the National Forests and the National Arboretum is, in my opinion, completely hopeless. Don't even think about setting up a tripod on one of their properties.
    Now, now...deep in the Coconino National Forest, if it is dark, and the wind is right, you can set a tripod up.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin