Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,231   Online: 740

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Washington D.C. around Xmas.

So, I am going to see my sister who lives in Arlington/DC for Christmas and was wondering if D.C. is even a viable place to take ANY pictures any more.

Since we had the harrassing of a photo student up in Seattle at a place listed on the tourist brochures and that has guided tours, I am thinking that it could be worse in D.C.

Nobody gives a damn where I live now oddly enough....

I would be shooting exclusively with a small RF. So I won't be too obvious.

Now, if this is a valid option without spending a few years in prison, does anyone have any suggestions for the must see places to do some street work in D.C./Va./maybe even Baltimore.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A rib Joint called "Red White and Blues" They have some great blues bands on the weekends.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Man, just check your camera at the beltway.

Today in New York I was taking a photograph from the same spot that Robert Polidori took a photograph published in _The New Yorker_ two weeks ago (just a record of the location, because I liked the Polidori photograph, and I've photographed in that area many times before) and had a couple of Park Police hovering around me. I ignored them and they moved on when I finished, but paranoia is running high. The 1950's 6x9 folder must have raised suspicion as something "out of the ordinary."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    Now, if this is a valid option without spending a few years in prison, does anyone have any suggestions for the must see places to do some street work in D.C./Va./maybe even Baltimore.
    I've got tons of them. Give me a shout when you're down here and I'll give the PPPB reading for that week. (PPPB=Park Police Paranoia Barometer). I average about 1 confrontation with them in any given month.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Off topic, but I have been out the past three weekends with no problems - in town. Now the local law enforcement types have passed by, but nothing. Locations, power plant, water treatment plant, convention center area, church next door to Federal Courthouse. It's not bad every where, and I am thankfull it's not here in N.Texas.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    It's not bad every where,
    but it's downright totalitarian most places in Washington.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That is the rub. It seems to somewhat random.

IIRC there was a warrant out for some guy in Texas City who was seen shooting refineries from the highway. He did this at 5pm BTW. Not 4am or some ungodly hour.

I mean from what I know about Texas City you can't NOT shoot a refinery there!

In my city, Tucson, I have never had a problem. Except with the cops during protest marches, but our PD has some serious ummmm...."problems".
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    I would suggest caution in dealing with any enforcement types in these areas - be polite and answer questions sensibly. A range finder should be adequate.

In Wash., any of the monuments should be available. In Balt. the harbor and Dundalk area will offer opportunities. I highly recommend Annapolis city. The PD there is pretty laid back and it is quite quaint with lots of waterfront activity year round.

And BTW, my neighbor in good standing, John is head of the Park Police on the Balt-Wash Parkway (Southern Div.), so if anyone desires to get into trouble there, let me know in advance and I'll feed forward some warning John made national headlines a while back when he drove the tractor out of the reflection pool . (My apologies, John.)
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    A rib Joint called "Red White and Blues" They have some great blues bands on the weekends.
    Aggie: do you mean the "Red Hot & Blue"?
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Annapolis is beautiful, downtown Alexandria offers a few ops too.

I guess Police Paranoia will be back to normal levels by Xmas, it'll still take some time for law enforcement to adjust to the "suspicious" people
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin