Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,789   Online: 716

Thread: Venice (Italy)

Shooter
    Medium Format

Venice (Italy)

Hello...

I'm quite bored to see (mainly on flickr) loads of stereotyped pictures of St. Mark's square-church-belltower, rialto's bridge and gondolas. Venice could offer a lot more!

So I will break the first fishermans' rule (don't tell other fishermans where are good fishing spots).

If you are planning to visit my wonderful (under some points of view) city and want to know where to find "sweet spots" for particular types/kinds of photographs, feel free to ask me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand what you are saying, but I think for some of us, the cliches provide a sort of proof to the world that we actually got there! Some of my best memories of the very short time I was there are captured in the brain, including a couple of evening concerts on period instruments. I would love to get back there again some day.

(A sampling)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you for the prompt reply!

I agree with you about the "proofs". But the meaning of this thread is a little different.
    It's more like:

Q- Ok, I want to go to Venice, apart for the standard shoots, I want to bring home something different!

A- (example) do you know that in Venice there is a small Jewish Ghetto (where the actual word "Ghetto" comes from!!!), where is possible to meet Jews in their traditional clothing, like at New York or Jerusalem?

or

A- do you know that Acqua Alta (exceptional high tides that floods some parts of Venice) is more likely to show in Saint Mark's sqaure and "fondamenta di Cannaregio" than in other parts of the city?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To expand a little, I greatly appreciate your offer of information, if I were coming back, I'd love to have more input from people who know the city. I was aware of the Ghetto, and of the Acqua Alta, but didn't experience either. I saw various planks and blocks stored out of the way in Saint Mark's Square, but I guess we were there between appropriate moon/tidal phases (we were there in late March of 2002). It may be just as well, as I have terrible balance for walking planks.

Part of my problem was traveling with other family members and only having less than three full days. One starts with some things he is aware of, then goes through the guide books and makes a list but there is never enough time to see everything on the list. I am sure I could easily spend a month there with camera gear and still be sorry to leave. I really loved the fact that it was possible to walk the entire city, it isn't nearly as big as some of the other Italian cities. It was really fun to wander through all sorts of narrow vias and discover little bridges, piazzas and restaurants. There were many places where the lighting at a certain hour of the day would be desirable too, but alas, this was a quick sight-seeing vacation and not a National Geographic sponsored photographic expedition. At least we set up the itinerary ourselves, so we did not have to meet some group or bus at a certain time and place. We were free to adjust our travels within the obvious limitations of time and money.

It was definitely an enjoyable and memorable experience. I imagine people who live there become aware of various flaws and problems (and probably get tired of herds of tourists overwhelming the major landmarks), but I really enjoyed being there and seeing the place with my eyes as well as my camera.

It is kind of you to offer "insider" information, I know a number of other APUG folks have gone there and may do so again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo_from_Venice View Post
    If you are planning to visit my wonderful (under some points of view) city and want to know where to find "sweet spots" for particular types/kinds of photographs, feel free to ask me.
    OK, I've got a whole bunch of questions as I'll be heading out to Venice in a few months. Bearing in mind I intend to shoot mainly 5x4...

The Arsenale - Have in mind to shoot the Armstrong Mitchell crane before it falls down. What are the "powers that be" like about tripods ?

Burano - Shoot with colour or B&W ? Is there any remains of boat building and/or fishing on the island ?

Any oddball or quirky things to see and do while in Venice ?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Iím not sure HCB ever visited Venice, but I would bet if he ever did, it would not be about location but composition and timing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Iím not sure HCB ever visited Venice, but I would bet if he ever did, it would not be about location but composition and timing.
    Some how, I doubt HCB would have used 5x4 for much of his work - Much as I would like to take several cameras, I need to limit myself to just the one for weight reasons.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin