Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,844   Online: 1038

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Our cousins from Australia are not inmmune either, the Sydney Opera house...that big rock taken with velvia and a polarizer.
    Sydney Opera House - yea, but I still can't get enough pictures of it.

As for the big rock - Uluru (Ayer's Rock), believe it or not, but you don't need velvia and a polarizer here. The rock naturally turns bright red towards sunset. In fact, the rock seems to change colors throughout the day. I've been there twice just to shoot it, and I will probably go again. In fact, I have it as a desktop photo - one of my favorite spots.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Or churches and interiors of churches (oops!).
    Just don't stop shooting them. I love those pictures, I was showing them off to a co-worker yesterday, who just happens to be from Stockholm.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Certainly agree......anything with "El Capitan"
    Uh-oh.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    WOW! Serious? You have NEVER seen a photograph of Bodie? Well! I have never met a photographer who has never seen a picture of Bodie! Pleased to meet you, Mark.
    I had to do a search on the net. It would have helped to know where the hell it was. Type in Bodie on yahoo and well there is a lot of hits. Took a while and finally found it. I assume you mean the ghost town? After a thurough exploration of the Gallery at the historic site website I can honestly say I do not remember seeing a single photograph. Maybe I'll be able to take the first, assuming I am ever make it there. And bruce does not make it there before me.

Definately proves a point-one man's trash is another man's treasure.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    My image of Roughting Linn that Sean has on the home page was made 28 years ago and was rarely photographed at the time because it was not well known. Since I first published the image I have had letters, phone calls and emails from photographers all over the world asking for the map reference to go to photograph it. I've even had requests to take strangers there and have been happy to do so. I photograph it several times every year and have never grown tired of it for I refer to it as .
    This is a good as example as any location that has been over photographed as any. That didn't stop me visiting it a couple of months ago, and trying to put my slant on the view, nor had it stopped the other photographer who was already their trying also. A place of meditation and solitude indeed, almost mystic, thank's for sharing it Les.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Leon
    IMO the definitive photographs of Stonehenge have been made by Paul Caponigro and you can see them in the Print Room on the 5th floor of the V&A museum in London. You will also see what I think are the best black and white prints ever made. Ask for the Caponigro Stonehenge Portfolio when you go.
    Wow - thanks Les ... I have just found a this link http://www.soulcatcherstudio.com/art...megaliths.html. How did I miss out on this??? Never heard of him before, yet he is where I am striving to be, and all before I was born - damn it I will definitely have to go to the V&A now.

I'm sure my intense interest and passion for these places (which way pre-dates my photographic hobby) makes me a terrible critic - I'm not sure any photos I see of these places go any where near striking chords with my own perceptions and emotions I experience when I spend time at them (often overnight) ... something I am desperate to capture, yet never quite get there. Caponigro is definitely getting there though!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    You know what Leon, I think you are right. Funny that don't you think.
    not sure I got what you mean Francesco?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think the problem is usually not with the "overphotographed" location, but with the photographer who is making more of a connection with the great photograph of the location than with location itself. Not that a great photograph of a particular location can't be a comment on earlier photographs of that location, but there has to be something original to the person operating the camera in there.

I was making some photographs in Wells Cathedral for the first time and was fortunate enough to be passing by a corridor as some people were coming out so that I could stumble into one of the most overphotographed locations in the world--Frederick Evans' "Sea of Steps." "So this is where it is!" I thought.

Evans used a long lens and had his camera fairly high up to compress space and create a real sense of motion. What struck me, though, was the sign at the bottom of the steps that read: "CAUTION--VERY WORN STEPS--PLEASE TAKE CARE." So I used a wide lens to give the sign a little more prominence and called it "Sea of Steps in the Age of Liability."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    I'm sure my intense interest and passion for these places (which way pre-dates my photographic hobby) makes me a terrible critic - I'm not sure any photos I see of these places go any where near striking chords with my own perceptions and emotions I experience when I spend time at them (often overnight) ... something I am desperate to capture, yet never quite get there. Caponigro is definitely getting there though!

I spent a day with Paul many years ago when he had a show in London, at the time he was living in New Mexico and told me that he so enjoyed standing stones that he had a small stone circle built near his home so that he could go and sit and meditate. Now there's a project for you next summer. It's worth looking for his book "Megaliths" too. Now that I know of your love of these places when you visit in September I'll take you to a small stone sircle at a place called Dudo about 20 minutes from home, that'll keep you quiet for an hour or two.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's worth looking for his book "Megaliths" too. Now that I know of your love of these places when you visit in September I'll take you to a small stone sircle at a place called Dudo about 20 minutes from home, that'll keep you quiet for an hour or two.
    that would be superb Les - I'm really excited already.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin