Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,093   Online: 882

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Areas around SoCal

Are there any areas around SoCal that would be good to use 3200 film with?
    I know the weather isn't so perfect for photography at the moment, but I won't be shooting until next week.

Any places you guys might know of?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any place that's kinda dark?

Just teasin' ya.

This kind of weather can be a great time to use high speed B+W film. Any subject is good-the even light will open up the shadows. The grain, IMO, helps keep things from looking too flat. When storms start to break up they can produce some very dramatic skies. The high speed allows you to keep shooting even as it approaches nightfall.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have to use a fast film to get the photo before the landscape washes away.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ain't that the truth! I was smart: I sandbagged as soon as it started, and am doing just fine. A section of one of the bridges on the Santa Ana Wash nearby collapsed this morning. The 'authorities' didn't even realize it was failing until a Sheriff's deputy drove across it and knew it didn't feel right; then he saw chunks of concrete falling off it. 15 minutes later it collapsed.
    Several hillsides around town have failed. We have some very steep hillsides (canyonsides, actually) and the people who build houses next to them like to take out the native grasses and then plant stuff that doesn't hold the dirt in place as well. Now their little trees are at the bottom and their irrigation pipes are hanging in air. The hillsides erode naturally to an extent in heavy rains, so with decreased stability, well...
    Also, almost no one around here prepares. They forget there is this thing called the elements (except sunshine). I'm a SoCal boy, but I lived in rural Northern California where rains like these aren't uncommon. This has been like what we often got up there. Steady rain for days, then a dumper. Where I lived an inch an hour wasn't all that uncommon, but here it's a big, big deal. A quarter inch an hour for more than about 15 minutes is a big deal. Some places have gotten just about their average yearly total in the past 5 days.
    This has been an unusual year. A rather cool summer, some record-breaking heat in fall, almost no Santa Ana winds or brushfires, a couple of good early rains, now this. I wonder what's next. Hmmm, maybe I should ask Chris...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I feel sorry for that post. I really feel for all you guys out there and would not want anyone to feel that I'm insensitive to their losses. I hope that things clear for them.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't worry PE- I got a good laugh from it! Weather happens, and as I said, few prepare. We choose to live here, and Mother Nature will do what she's been doing for a long time. We have some big mountains around here, and fairly warm, wet storms (it's 52 degrees out right now) mean snow only at high elevations during the day, so there's a tremendous amount of water coming off them.
    It's just a part of living here, is how I see it.

Looks like we're going to get three days to dry out, starting tomorrow.
    Last edited by lxdude; 12-22-2010 at 07:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just put a ND8 filter on it and you can use it like Tri-X 400!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I wonder what's next. Hmmm, maybe I should ask Chris...
    Please don't.

Even though they've debunked the Palmdale bulge, remember that we are still due "the big one".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Ask Chris" is the big one!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Just put a ND8 filter on it and you can use it like Tri-X 400!
    Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin