Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,527   Posts: 1,543,945   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barcelona

Shooter
    Large Format

Barcelona

I'm going to be visiting Barcelona next month. Any galleries or shows I should check out? I'm an avid analog photographer, mostly large format.

Thanks in advance!

Henry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What camera will you be taking?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Have a good time. Keep a good hold on your equipment. If you will be there for a while, apply for a tripod permit at the Gaudy house.

I hear there's a cool church there too.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format

Barcelona

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what I will be taking. Maybe a 35mm camera with a couple of lenses. I travel a lot with 5x7 or 8x10 but I think I just want to travel with only a small backpack on this trip.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Henry- if you're only taking 35mm, the sky's the limit as to what and where you can shoot. Barcelona is a photographer's delight, just be aware that in the Barri Gotic (the area around the old Cathedral) the streets are extremely narrow and the contrast will be very high, as the shadows cast by the buildings can be pretty deep. Barcelona is very safe in general, even Las Ramblas (just be reasonably cautious and you'll be fine).

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The thing that best separates Barcelona from any number of other Mediterranean cities is the architecture of Gaudi. There are a number of sites ( which your guidebook will cover) though IMO the best photographically is Casa Mila (aka La Pedrera) in the centre of the city. In good light the photograohy of and from the roof near sunset is outstanding.

One other thing. The incidence of pickpocketing and other petty theft in Barcelona appears to be high. Look after your things and be aware of the possibility that someone could unzip a backpack without your knowledge.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the Joan Miró museum (Fundacio Joan Miró), from memory, it was a nice walk up the hill to get there with good views at the top.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can take the funicular railway up to the Miro museum, and then from there on up to the fort at the top. The views from the fort are amazing, and there's plenty of neat architecture on the fort itself to photograph, including the big late 19th/early 20th century naval guns mounted on the top of the hill. The city has turned the grounds around the fort into a public park, including an archery range. Another neat place to visit is the maritime museum at the bottom end of Las Ramblas - they have a complete full-scale reconstruction of a 16th century Spanish royal battle barge inside. Oh, and if you have the chance, go to Casa Amattler - check with the front desk when they're doing tours, as they may not be fully open again yet. Come back on a day when they are doing tours so you can see Sr. Amattler's photo studio - it's a complete Victorian photography salon. And don't forget to sample the chocolates! They make a perfect gift to bring home and the taste is AMAZING. Some of the best chocolate I've ever had. If you like sparkling wine, look for some Juve Y Camps Brut Nature Gran Reserva de la Familia - better than Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label at half the price (get it at duty-free in the airport - the price is reasonable and you won't have the hassle of trying to get it through security).

Shooter
    35mm
    Keep hold of your equipment. My wife and I got pickpocked. We were walking along a pretty nice street with apartments. I felt something on my shoulder. Looked like a bird had pooped on me. When I looked up a guy walking towards us kind of looked in our direction and seemed to see my predicament and offered his bottle of water and a kleenx. He then motioned for us to go into his apartment building. In the foyer we noticed some splater on my wifes hair. He helped us wipe it off as well. Just then a guy came down the stairs and went out the front door. After a moment our guy left. We headed back out and contiued on our way. A little later I noticed my wallet gone.

The scam is. The first guy on the street looks for someone like us with camera bag, map, etc. walking down the street. The other guy breaks into an unused apartment and has a cup with baby food and water mix. When the first guy calls him he waits and drops it on the mark from the balcony or window. You can guess the rest. I should be happy I didn't catch him in the act as we would have been in a secluded place fighting him and his friend with just me and the wife. Not a good senario.

Watch yourself. Most of the theifs are from south america, places like columbia. The regualr spaniards hate them as they give the country a bad name. We had locals who would admonish us to hold onto our bags and purse much better.

For all that the local people were very nice and helpful. Great country, just keep aware of your surroundings and don't set you stuff down or leave it loose on your shoulder.
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    35mm
    "places like columbia"
    What an unfortunate comment, and it is Colombia, not columbia.
    ( I am an Spanish citizen, by the way )
    Last edited by david James lee; 12-27-2010 at 09:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin